Details: Mid-high $30Ks
40 Southbridge Street
Bottom Line is dedicated to helping first-generation students from low-income backgrounds get into college, graduate from college, and go far in life. Our vision is to dramatically transform urban communities by producing thousands of new career-ready college graduates.
As one of the first college support organizations to focus on college completion, Bottom Line now produces best-in-class college graduation rates that eliminate the significant gap between first generation students from low-income backgrounds and their wealthier peers. We operate regional programs in Massachusetts, where we were founded in 1997, New York City, and Chicago that collectively serve over 7,000 students. We plan to open two new sites in major urban areas and increase our footprint to over 10,000 students by 2020.
Bottom Line focuses on students who have the desire and potential to earn a degree, but lack the support structures necessary to navigate the college application process, make a responsible school choice, succeed in college, and prepare for a meaningful career.
Over the last 21 years, Bottom Line has developed a proven and proactive long-term, high-touch, high impact model. Full-time, trained, and specialized advisors leverage our DEAL model which addresses the four key areas that are most likely to lead to college success: Degree, Employability, Affordability, and Life. Our relationship and results focused approach helps our students change their lives by gaining economic mobility through college selection, graduation, and career-readiness.
At Bottom Line we also have a strong commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. We aim to attract qualified candidates who hold these same values and help us to further recognize and celebrate the diversity among us.
When you join Bottom Line you will find a rewarding, fast-paced, results-oriented environment. We build strong relationships with our students and with each other. We take our work seriously and we know that a focus on data and metrics is integral to our continued success. Experts in our field, we are driven by our mission and motivated by the impact we’re achieving.
The primary responsibility of the College Success Advisor in the Massachusetts region is to support a caseload of approximately 85 college students at 2 to 3 college campuses. The Success Advisor provides one-on-one academic, financial, personal, and career guidance, and tracks and records student progress in our database using both quantitative and qualitative data.
*Bottom Line's Worcester Office will be closing in the late spring/early summer of 2019 and roles there will be moved to our Jamaica Plain Office. The person hired for this role would be signing on through this date, with the option to move to the Jamaica Plain Office at that time.
Direct Student Support – 70%
- Follow Bottom Line’s structured curriculum (DEAL), which supports students in four areas: Degree, Employability, Affordability, and Life Skills, to help students progress towards specific goals/milestones
- Coach students toward reaching DEAL Milestones, including, but not limited to: “Enroll in fall classes,” “Create a professional resume,” “Complete financial aid applications”
- Conduct and document end-of-semester assessments for each student (twice annually)
- Based on these assessments, create service plans for each student
- Maintain ongoing communication with all students on caseload
- Lead 45-minute meetings for 18 - 21 students per week on campus
- Meet with incoming first year students over the summer to ensure a smooth transition to their new campus
- Send messages of encouragement, congratulatory cards, care packages, etc.
- Respond to all student text/calls/emails within 2 business days
- Guide students through financial aid renewal process by appropriate deadlines
- Support students with career exploration, career planning, and career development
- Research relevant career information and resources to send to students
- Identify students for specific Bottom Line partner internships and opportunities, and support students through the application process for these opportunities
- Connect students with Bottom Line job coaching volunteers (“Go Far Volunteers”)
- Help students resolve general obstacles that come up throughout the school year by coaching them on self-advocacy and resourcefulness skills, and communicating with school offices to advocate for students
Caseload & Data Management – 15%
- Track and record student progress, using both quantitative and qualitative measures
- Enter data into the database within 3 business days of a student interaction or status change
- Enter assessments and service plans twice annually
- Maintain accurate student contact information in the student database
- Enter and update data for students applying to Bottom Line and/or transitioning into the Success Program
- Manage a caseload of approximately 85 college students, including, but not limited to:
- Schedule all student meetings on a weekly, or as needed, basis
- Manage time and calendar to meet minimum meeting standards as outlined by KPIs
- Support students who have become unenrolled or who have transferred out of a Bottom Line Success school
Program Support – 10%
- Support programming connected to the following areas:
- Transition workshops and events for graduating high school seniors
- Relationship-building with college and university partners
- On-campus event planning for students
- Resource development (including college-specific information) and curriculum planning
- Recruitment of students directly into the Success Program
Organizational Support – 5%
- Support the Massachusetts Development team by attending events, networking with guests / supporters, and providing event logistics as needed
- Represent the Bottom Line brand in a positive light, and take actions to increase brand awareness throughout the community
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without advanced notice.
- Bachelor’s degree and work authorization
- 1 – 2 years of related work experience
- Experience developing trusting relationships with students, and coaching them toward goals
- Demonstrated commitment to Bottom Line’s Mission, Vision, and Core Values
- Demonstrated proficiency and/or growth potential in Bottom Line's core competencies: Relationships, Results, Communication, Inclusiveness, Talent Development, Agility, and Planning
- The ability to make a minimum of a two-year commitment
- Fluency in language other than English a plus
- Valid driver's license and access to a car strongly preferred
All employees are expected to demonstrate continued growth within our seven core competencies.
Competencies provide Bottom Line with a way to define, in behavioral terms, what it is that people need to do to produce the results that the organization desires, in a way that is in keeping with its culture. Bottom Line defines a competency as a cluster of related knowledge, skills, and attitudes that affects a major part of one’s job that correlates with performance on the job, that can be measured against well-accepted standards, and that can be improved via training and development.
- Relationships: Identifies opportunities and takes action to build and maintain meaningful and collaborative connections with various stakeholders
- Results: Produces quality outcomes; compiles and analyzes data to drive future plans; uses creative solutions
- Communication: Effectively articulates information in a clear, concise, and timely manner to a wide range of stakeholders
- Inclusiveness: Creates and maintains an environment that respects and values the identities and cultures of all colleagues and students we serve
- Talent Development: Effectively assesses one’s own, and others’, strengths and areas for improvement
- Agility: Demonstrates adaptability and openness to shifting priorities, needs of stakeholders, and organizational changes
- Planning: Effectively and efficiently uses resources in order to create, meet, and assess both strategic and task-oriented goals
Bottom Line offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required