Details: Upper 40's to low 50's, DOE
P.O. Box 8782
SALI provides legal services to survivors of sexual violence, and technical assistance and training to
professionals working with survivors. The Sexual Assault Legal Institute (SALI) is part of the Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault (MCASA). MCASA’s SALI is looking for a full‐time staff attorney that will provide legal services to victims of sexual assault and assist them in development and administration of SALI services, outreach, and training. Casework may include a substantial immigration caseload. This position reports to the Managing Attorney.
THIS POSITION REQUIRES ADMISSION TO PRACTICE LAW.
Responsibilities and Duties
Provide legal services to victims of sexual assault, including assessment and referral, legal
consultation, and representation in protective and peace order proceedings, family law cases, victim compensation proceedings, victim/witness
representation in criminal cases, and other matters.
- Develop and utilize skills to provide high quality and sensitive legal services to victims of sexual assault
- Provide or assure provision of safety planning for victims
- Maintain reasonable caseload in compliance with grant requirements and needs of office
- Review cases with SALI managing attorney and seek assistance when needed
- Conduct legal research
- Provide community outreach, technical assistance and training
- Assist in production of training and technical assistance materials
- Assist in coordination and development of low bono/pro bono attorney network
- Collect data needed for grant reports or other reasons; assist in report preparation
- Assist in recruiting and supervision of legal interns and other SALI staff
- Prioritize and fulfill responsibilities in accordance with available funding and grant requirements
- Comply with Maryland Rules of Professional Conduct
- Such other duties as assigned by the managing attorney or executive director
- J.D. from accredited law school
- Must be admitted to Maryland bar. Attorneys currently licensed in another State may be eligible for admission under Maryland Rule 19‐215 (temporary admission for public interest attorneys licensed out of state)
- Access to a car and valid driver’s license; this position requires some travel within the State of Maryland
- 3 years litigation experience and/or judicial clerkship preferred
- Knowledge and/or previous work experience with sexual assault related issues preferred
- Family law or immigration experience preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. This job requires the ability to travel to and from different locations within the State of Maryland.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Commitment to Diversity
MCASA is an equal opportunity employer. Its policy of nondiscrimination means that all employment decisions will be based on merit and without regard to factors unrelated to job performance, such as ethnicity, creed, marital status, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, and physical, emotional or mental capacity.
Health, Vision, Dental. Vacation, Sick, Personal leave.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send resume, cover letter, and legal writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with “SALI Ataff Attorney” and your name in subject line. NOTE: Resumes will be considered as they are received and the position will be open until filled. Deadline to apply is September 5, 2018. Professional references will be requested and contacted if selected for an interview.