Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy
Title: Accounting Supervisor
Type of Position: Full Time, Exempt
Reports to: Director of Finance and Administration
The Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy, the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway, seeks a highly motivated, experienced Accounting Supervisor to join our team. This important position will play a vital role in the continuing development of The Greenway’s employees and culture across the organization.
The Accounting Supervisor is a critical member of the Finance and Administration team, supporting the Conservancy’s work organization-wide. Charged with monitoring and improving accounting operations, the monthly close, and managing the general ledger, the successful candidate will work with the Conservancy’s team to assure departmental initiatives are accurately represented in these core functions. This position is responsible for completion of the annual non-profit audit and tax returns, and manages segments of the annual Budget and Forecast. The successful candidate will embrace the organization’s commitment to transparency, excellence and innovation while supporting the continued growth of the Finance and Administration department and the organization as a whole.
The Greenway Conservancy is committed to providing a park environment that is welcoming to racial, culturally, and economically diverse residents and visitors. The Accounting Supervisor will work closely with staff and outside consultants to further this work and ensure its pervasiveness across the organization. You can read more about our mission, vision, and commitment to diversity equity and inclusion on our website.
The Accounting Supervisor will supervise one full time and one part time employee and will work closely with all Finance and Administration (F&A) staff on the following:
- Responsible for the monthly close including managing day-to-day accounting operations including accounts payable and 1099s, cash receipts and accounts receivables, funding recognition, and depreciation to ensure a timely completion of monthly close.
- Receivables – work with our Programs team to ensure proper recording and reconciliation of payments from our business partners
- Complete reconciliations and review aging - cash, clearing accounts, AP/AR
- Manage the general ledger, customer list and jobs list
- Prepare and maintain all organization accounting and finance policies, and oversee financial compliance
- Oversee production of quarterly stakeholder reporting and financials for the Annual Report
- Work with the Director of Finance and Administration to complete monthly finance committee reporting
- Work with the HR Manager regarding payroll and benefits, including bi-weekly payroll calculations and review, journal entries, changes due to staffing, renewals, etc.
- Review and distribute W-2s
- Ensure accuracy and timely filing of payroll tax reports ( UBIT, PFMLA, others as needed)
Budget and Mid-Year Forecast
- Assist the Director of Finance and Administration in preparation of Budgets and Forecasts. Prepare monthly budget to actual variance reports and review with department heads
- With knowledge gained through bi-weekly payroll, oversee compensation budgeting, reflecting proposed changes and assuring that all benefits and tax rates are current and reflected appropriately
- Budget/Forecast specific revenue and expenses, such as insurance, in-kind donations, IT and admin expenses, etc.
- Ensure proper functionality of The Greenway’s budget model, updating where necessary to reflect current structure and accounting (working with outside consultant when needed).
- Distribute and review monthly budget to actual reports with leadership
- Take the lead on the annual audit and tax filings. Working with the F&A team, prepare and submit audit and tax requirements, ensuring accuracy, timely completion and cohesiveness across deliverables.
- Respond quickly and accurately to the auditor’s additional requests during audit and tax finalization
- Work with the Director of Finance and Administration to prepare footnotes to the audited financials. Review and finalize Audited Financials and Tax returns prepared by the audit team.
- Assist Development in preparation of grant requests and reports, as needed
- Work with the entire F&A team to advance the selection and implementation of a new accounting system
- Work on various financial projects and ad hoc management reports, as needed
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or a related field, or equivalent work experience, required
- CPA or Master’s degree in Accounting or related field preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of complex accounting experience
- Minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience
- Microsoft Office suite, with intermediate Excel skills; Google-for-Work, general familiarity with payroll systems
- Experience with accounting software such as QuickBooks and Bill.com. Knowledge of other accounting systems helpful
- Demonstrated ability to manage others.
- Experience in relating to diverse employees
- Results focused, attention to detail with an ability to anticipate issues, develop solutions and manage resolutions.
- Excellent team player, with a friendly collaborative mindset; delivering value to the team and the organization
- Positive, multi-tasker, high-energy, calm under pressure
- Understanding of and commitment to The Greenway’s mission
- This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position with full benefits
- The position currently requires 3 days per week in the office
- We require that all employees are fully vaccinated unless they have a proven medical or religious accommodation
- Work hours are generally Monday through Friday, but flexibility is required to accommodate occasional evening work
- Work will primarily take place indoor in the office, but will occasionally require some time on The Greenway
Please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with Accounting Supervisor in the subject line. Each file name should begin with the application’s last name.
- Cover Letter: Tell us why you're passionate about working for The Greenway and how your unique combination of skills and experience meets the key requirements of the job description
- 3 References
- No Phone calls please
About The Greenway and the Conservancy
The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The Greenway welcomes millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore. The Greenway Conservancy is the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway. The majority of the public park’s annual budget is generously provided by private sources.
To learn more about The Greenway and the Conservancy, please visit our website and blog and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
The Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.