10901 West 120th Avenue
Position: Director, Structured Finance
Location: Denver/Boulder, CO or Chicago, IL preferred
The Charter School Growth Fund (CSGF) is a leading nonprofit venture philanthropy fund dedicated to identifying the nation’s best public charter schools, funding their expansion, and helping to increase their impact. Our “portfolio” includes 60+ charter school networks that operate 700+ schools and serve more than 300,000 students. We operate with the same strategies, discipline, and focus as a venture capital firm by awarding multi-year grants and loans to talented education entrepreneurs building networks of high-quality charter schools that enroll traditionally underserved students. Ultimately, we think our portfolio can grow to serve ~1,000,000 students within a decade.
In 2010, CSGF launched its initial $20 million Facility Fund to help portfolio members acquire, construct, and renovate buildings for new schools. Over the past seven years, CSGF has utilized this capital to support the development of facilities for 50 schools that will eventually serve 25,000 students each year. Given the success of this fund, CSGF recently closed a new $50 million Facility Fund to expand our social impact investing, with the goal of recycling this capital and investing $125 million over the next 10 years.
CSGF’s structured finance team seeks to ensure that facilities and financing are not a barrier to the growth and success of high quality charter school networks across the country. CSGF is seeking a Director of Structured Finance to partner with charter operators and CSGF’s investment team to solve facilities and financing challenges, including the sourcing, structuring, and execution of facilities and working capital investments. We are seeking a candidate with a strong results orientation, expert financial and analytical skills, and the ability to manage complex projects, think strategically, and build relationships with diverse groups of stakeholders. The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial, passionate about K‐12 education, and interested in leveraging public and private capital to create long‐term social impact.
The responsibilities of this role resemble those of a strategy consultant—provide strategic support, serve as a trusted thought partner, solve mission‐critical problems—and those of an impact investor—source and structure deals, conduct due diligence, invest capital, and monitor investments. Key responsibilities include:
• Leading 6-8 structured finance deals annually including conducting intensive due diligence on high-performing charter school operators: analysis and evaluation of financial models and deal affordability, real estate strategies, market dynamics, leadership teams, and business plans
• Preparing investment analyses, proposals, and recommendations to CSGF’s partner team and board around facilities and working capital investments
• Serving as a strategic thought partner and financial advisor for the senior management and board of CSGF’s portfolio members
• Partnering with CSGF’s investment team and the education entrepreneurs they support to develop and execute financial, financing and real estate strategies
• Providing expertise and counsel to charter school operators that are undergoing a strategic planning process, including assisting with financial models, growth strategies and business plans
• Building capacity and knowledge within CSGF’s portfolio and across the industry including capturing and sharing best practices, creating more efficient financial markets, disseminating benchmarking information and creating communities of practice
• Supporting the daily operations of CSGF’s structured finance practice including strategic planning, annual goal-setting, deal and pipeline tracking, internal cash flow management, and investor reporting
Skills and Characteristics
• Demonstrated expertise in financial modeling, financial statement analysis, and strategic planning
• Passion for creating social change through the impactful investment of public and private capital
• Strong strategic thinking, analytical, and creative problem solving skills
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, particularly the ability to build strong relationships with diverse groups of stakeholders
• Strong project management experience that drives efficiency and excellence in all aspects of work
• Ability to work seamlessly between high-level strategy and detail oriented work
• Deep commitment to CSGF’s mission and passion for K-12 education
• Excitement around creating excellent education options for low-income students
• Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects
Educational Background and Work Experience
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
• Three to seven years of work experience, preferably including finance, private equity, impact investing, venture capital, management consulting, philanthropy, charter school management, or similar experience
WORKING AT CSGF
We are focused on hiring and developing great people, giving them freedom and autonomy, and maintaining high expectations to help them grow personally and professionally. In return, our team delivers high-quality work that increases our ability to find, fund, and deepen the impact of the highest performing public charter schools in the country. Our core values are:
• Results. We work relentlessly to create efficient, measurable, and sustainable results. We strive for excellence and pursue our mission tenaciously. Ideally, you thrive working in a self-directed manner in a fluid environment where flexibility and tenacity are required.
• Entrepreneurship. We embrace calculated risks and new approaches. We have an entrepreneurial spirit that welcomes innovation, diversity of ideas, and risk. We rely on you to question conventional wisdom and think independently.
• Integrity. We are truthful, fair, and trustworthy in all aspects of our work. We hold ourselves and our partners to the highest ethical standards. We trust you will too.
• Respect. We appreciate the challenges faced by education entrepreneurs and recognize the limits of our own knowledge. We understand that our ultimate success is dependent upon the achievements of our partners. Your humility will be key to building trusted and authentic relationships.
• Teamwork. We value each of our team members as individuals but believe that we achieve the greatest results by working together. We willingly sacrifice individual interests and recognition for greater collective impact. We hope having fun at work is important to you and you enjoy being a team player.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply