Location: Eastern or Central time zone, USA
Are you ready to use your finance and accounting acumen to support purpose-driven teams that are correcting the vision of millions of low-income customers so they can work, learn, stay safe, and care for their families?
The pioneering social enterprise, VisionSpring, seeks a skilled and efficient finance and accounting associate with international experience. The associate is responsible for maintaining accurate and timely financial records by entering, processing, and reconciling transactions in accordance with established procedures and formats. The person in this role will prepare reports and schedules to facilitate budget preparation, tax filing, monthly and annual financial reporting, and successful year-end audits. The associate will serve as the primary finance liaison to the sales and operations teams, managing accounts receivable, accounts payable, expenses for field teams, and ensuring financial compliance for restricted grants. This position reports to the senior controller, based in New York City, but may be located anywhere in the Eastern or Central time zone of the United States.
- You excel at recording debits and credits correctly, and make sure your entries are right the first time. When you are uncertain, you ask how it should be done rather than making a guess and correcting later.
- You are detail oriented. You scrutinize billing statements from vendors and rectify errors when necessary.
- Your world needs to be predictable, so you make it so. Instinctively you adhere to routines and timelines, and help others appreciate the need for structure and repeatable processes.
- You strive for continual improvement. You are always looking for a better way to get recording and reporting done more efficiently.
- For you, organizational accountability is personal. You deliver at the highest level in order to close the books every month, complete audits and file taxes on time, and help leaders make informed decisions.
- You are analytical. You read financial statements and seek to understand the underlying business. You are quick to notice when things don’t add up. You are not afraid to speak up when things look amiss.
- Friends would describe you as trustworthy and structured, smart with low ego, and highly ethical.
- VisionSpring is creating access to affordable eyewear, everywhere. Clear vision creates opportunities for increased learning, work, safety, civic participation, and quality of life.
- As a social enterprise, social change motivates us first. Our focus on sales and revenue targets serves and advances our mission objective—to increase functioning, productivity, and income earning potential for our low-income consumers by correcting refractive error and presbyopia with eyeglasses.
- We are working to transform the systemic dysfunction of an optical market that has failed to deliver eyeglasses—a 700-year-old technology—to 2.7 billion consumers in need of vision correction, most of whom live on less than $4 a day.
- We serve low-income consumers, not as beneficiaries but as customers. Our customers expect a high-quality and affordable product, and they will spend limited discretionary income for the immediate and tangible benefits of vision correction.
- By selling eyeglasses, we awaken new demand and seed a viable market. By selling new eyeglasses we are able to serve four times as many people per dollar input than the alternative of donating recycled ones. To efficiently scale, we must deliver each new unit with lower cost.
- We run our business on both sales metrics and social impact measures. We use a range of organizational forms and practices to get the job done.
- We believe in scaling our impact, not our organization. We are a lean team of doers.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Input checks, invoices, and deposits into QuickBooks (SAP in the future).
- Input journal entries and accruals at the end of each month.
- Process all approved payments, maintaining both accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Input payroll information for New York support office employees (~12) via recording entries.
- Reconcile bank accounts daily.
- Maintain a general ledger that supports active financial management and donor reporting.
- Troubleshoot bookkeeping-related problems. Attain optimal resolutions when matters go awry.
Reporting and Budget Preparation
- Prepare monthly and year-end financial reports.
- Assist with annual business planning for VisionSpring’s work in India, Bangladesh, five countries in Africa, Vietnam, and New York.
- Perform additional administrative tasks as requested.
- Work with the senior controller to provide reports and schedules for annual audit and tax filings, including 990 and 1099 reporting.
- Monitor changes in financial and accounting protocol/laws in key market countries to maintain compliance.
Global Finance Support
- Serve as the primary finance liaison to the sales teams, managing customer invoicing, accounts receivable, and field team expenses.
- Work with the operations teams managing vendor payments linked to purchasing activities for direct material.
- Manage vendor payments through VisionSpring’s billing platform (Bill.com) to ensure accurate recording of all payments and maintenance of supporting documentation.
- Manage the financial recording of all restricted grants and ensure the accurate coding of expenses assigned to such grants.
- As VisionSpring expands in key market countries, provide support and guidance to locally-based bookkeeper(s).
- Minimum 3 years of professional bookkeeping experience; 3-5 years of accounting experience with QuickBooks; and 5-8 years of relevant work experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or another relevant field.
- Strong understanding of the practices and procedures of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as applied to financial accounting, reporting, and recording transactions.
- Prior experienced in cost accounting for, and reporting of, goods available for sale/inventory in a B2B environment.
- Understanding and implementation of internal controls.
- Ability to prepare and analyze financial statements and reports.
- Technology savvy, including excellent Excel skills.
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented.
- Must meet the highest standards of ethics and personal integrity.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- You will impress us if you have any of the following: (1) CPA or studying for CPA; (2) Work with organizations that have international operations; (3) Experience supporting an annual external audit process; (4) Familiarity with payroll systems; (5) Experience in an FMCG business, nonprofit organization, or enterprise with job/project-based accounting (percentage of completion accounting method); (6) Experience preparing financial updates for leadership, including contributing to PowerPoint presentations.
- Salary range is $45,000-$55,000 per year, based on experience and education.
- We offer comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, and vision, as well as 401(k) with match, pre-tax commuter plan, flexible spending accounts, and generous vacation/personal time.
- We want to know more than just what you have done. We want to know who you are. What are the passions and talents that draw you to this role?
- Please submit your application, including a thoughtful cover letter and CV/résumé, saved as a single document, to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include "Finance and Accounting Associate" in the email subject line.
- Please update your CV/résumé to include a brief description (one or two sentences) about the business/mission of each organization where you have worked.
- The preferred start date is January 4, 2021.
- Please note, only candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
- At VisionSpring, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our core value to advance equity. Our mission is predicated on removing a fundamental barrier to full economic and social participation—uncorrected blurry vision. The values that underpin our mission energize our commitment to a diverse and inclusive team. A diverse team also allows VisionSpring to approach problems with nuance and develop unique insights that drive an outsized positive impact in the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain talented people from diverse backgrounds and support everyone in being exactly who they are. VisionSpring is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.