Details: Salary range $50,000-$60,000, depending on experience.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Montana (ACLU-MT) seeks a dynamic team player to fill the position of Director of Finance and Operations. This is an opportunity for a financial professional to contribute to the success of the premier civil liberties and civil rights organization in Montana.
The Director of Finance and Operations (DFO) serves in a senior level, financial and operations oversight position in an office of approximately 12-14 staff. The DFO will report directly to the Executive Director and will oversee the organizations financial and human resources operations, oversee administrative operations and directly supervise the Office Manager, provide support to the board of directors, and undertake special operations projects as assigned.
Funding for this position is guaranteed for two years, with future years contingent upon financial feasibility. The Director of Finance and Operations will be based in Missoula.
The ACLU of Montana (founded in 1972) is an affiliate of the national ACLU (founded in 1920) and operates as a private, non-profit organization. We are the state’s largest and most influential civil rights organization, combining litigation, policy advocacy, communications, and organizing tactics to promote a broad range of individual rights and liberties. Our current top priorities are Indigenous justice, criminal justice reform, and immigrants’ rights. We work on a range of other issues including reproductive justice, LGBTQ equality, voting rights, freedom of speech and religion, and informational and digital privacy.
The ACLU of Montana has a current staff of 12 and offices located in downtown Helena and Missoula. To learn more about the work of the ACLU of Montana, please visit http://aclumontana.org.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The ACLU of Montana is an equity-based employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Montana encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, previous incarceration or involvement in the criminal justice system, or veteran status.
Expect a friendly work environment, with flexibility and consideration of personal needs and circumstances.
- Financial Management & Accounting: Manage basic finance functions including overseeing the outside bookkeeper, accounting firm, and auditing firm. Ensure compliance with internal financial policies and local, state, and federal law. Coordinate the preparation of all tax reports and the annual audit. Supervise the financial management of grants and earmarked gifts, with support from the Director of Philanthropy. Oversee and review the creation of monthly financial reports and present to the board or Finance and Audit Committee as needed. Develop and implement systems for internal controls.
- Budget Planning and Monitoring: Assist the Executive Director with the annual budget process and monitor implementation; work with and support senior staff on departmental budget planning and implementation. Prepare budget and cash-flow reports for Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Human Resources: Oversee internal human resources, including recruiting and onboarding, exit formalities, benefits, payroll, and other personnel-related activities. Work with the Executive Director, and in concert with the Office Manager, to ensure the organization implements best practices and strong HR systems and processes. Maintain personnel files and manage employee time-tracking system. Promote a positive and inclusive culture by making the office a welcoming and collaborative place to work.
- Office Management: Oversee, manage, and optimize the day-to-day and long-term operational systems of the organization including facilities, office services, files, and technology.
- Compliance: Enhance and/or develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures of the organization; ensure timely completion of reports and forms for the National ACLU and State of Montana, including lobbying reports, charitable organization renewals, and tax forms.
- Board Relations: In coordination with the Office Manager, provide administrative and logistical support to the Board of Directors.
- Work experience that demonstrates professionalism and the ability to exercise good judgment in stressful circumstances.
- Exceptional financial management skills, including experience in budget planning and implementation, reading and analyzing basic financial statements, understanding the difference between cash and accrual accounting, and performing variance analysis and financial analysis of strategic initiatives.
- Experience and excellence in using computer accounting program(s), Excel, and Word for use in financial reporting; the ability to professionally format documents.
- Outstanding attention to detail, work ethic, and problem-solving skills, as well as a willingness to learn new skills.
- Ability to develop organizational systems and procedures.
- Ability to work on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, work collaboratively, and prioritize with colleagues.
- Experience maintaining personnel files.
- Experience working collaboratively and collegially with co-workers.
- A strong commitment to equity and inclusion, and respect for differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance.
- Ability to travel and attend events as needed.
- Flexibility in work schedule; ability to work occasional evenings or weekends, with prior notice (reciprocal time off available).
- Ability to translate financial concepts clearly and concisely, in writing and verbally, for those less familiar with them.
- Experience working in an organization dedicated to advancing social justice or civil rights and civil liberties.
- Nonprofit financial management experience and a solid understanding of the difference between 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations.
- Hiring, supervising, motivating, and training staff.
- Mediating personnel conflicts.
- Working with an auditor.
- Use of QuickBooks.
Excellent benefits offered, including health and dental insurance, short and long-term disability and life insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, and generous vacation, holiday, family and medical leave policies. Part-time work for a sufficiently experienced candidate will be considered.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
All applications are treated confidentially. Please submit:
1. A letter of interest of no more than one page.
Email your application to Michelle Cares, Office Manager, at email@example.com or mail it to:
ACLU of Montana, Attn: Michelle Cares