1402 Third Ave
Do you love writing and storytelling? Do you want to get out in the community and work with progressive leaders to tell powerful stories? Do you feel butterflies in your stomach when you hear or read a powerful speech? The Legislative Communications Manager position might be right for you. This position is part of our Communications Hub program: a small, but mighty team of political communications specialists.
WHAT IS THE COMMUNICATIONS HUB?
The Communications Hub is a statewide program housed at Fuse Washington, the largest progressive organization in Washington State. We act as a communications “toolshed” for the progressive movement – working with progressive leaders and organizations tell a more powerful story. We do this by providing communications support, storytelling training and coaching, and direct communications staff capacity to strengthen advocacy campaigns. We work on a variety of progressive issues, but our top priorities are democracy reform, voting access, climate justice, and progressive tax reform.
This position will partner closely with and dedicate significant time to supporting the Washington efforts of the State Innovation Exchange (SiX), a national non-profit organization dedicated to advancing progressive change in state legislatures. This primarily includes supporting legislators and allied groups in their efforts to promote a progressive legislative agenda in Washington.
To lead this work, the Communications Hub is looking for a multi-talented individual who thrives in a collaborative work environment. We’re looking for someone who can juggle many different issues, partners, and projects while keeping a careful eye on the long-term vision and work plan. This person will work in a team environment with progressive elected leaders, nonprofit coalitions, and the Fuse staff to execute coordinated communications campaigns for top priority issues and help all partners improve their communications infrastructure and capacity.
This full-time position is located in Seattle, WA with seasonal work in Olympia, WA and will report to the Communications Hub Director.
● Support communications and media efforts for legislators and allied groups, focused on a statewide progressive agenda.
● Develop and execute a plan for social media, pitching stories to local media, drafting press releases and talking points, and more.
● Identify media opportunities for progressive allies throughout the state, especially in key media markets and legislative districts.
● Share and leverage best practices with and from partners in other states.
● Work with partners to design and offer communications trainings to legislators and other allies.
● Provide on-going coaching to partners on how to implement a long-term narrative and integrate storytelling into advocacy communications.
● Lead trainings for first-time legislative candidates.
● Represent SiX and the Communications Hub at coalition and community meetings.
● Excellent writing skills and a knack for storytelling.
● A mind for communications and political strategy.
● Ability to work effectively under frequently tight deadlines.
● Experience earning media coverage and building relationships with reporters
● A curiosity to learn and apply the latest messaging research.
● Proven commitment to racial justice.
● Some experience with both traditional and new media.
● Creative, innovative, and have a sense of humor.
● Strong public presence. Engaging and confident interpersonal style.
● Collaborative and thrives working in a team setting.
● Technology friendly.
● Flexibility to travel, including regular travel to Olympia, WA.
● Ambitious about increasing the strength of the progressive community and making serious changes in the world.
● Training, facilitation and curriculum development experience a plus.
● Bi-lingual a plus.
This full-time position is located in Seattle, with a starting date as soon as possible. Flexible hours. Creative work environment. Competitive salary and superb benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bi-lingual, a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to email@example.com with the subject heading “Legislative Communications Manager.” We will consider applications as they arrive with priority consideration given to applications received by November 11, 2018.
Send all questions regarding this position to Dujie Tahat at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls.
Fuse Washington is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. All interested individuals, including people of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who identify as LGBTQ are encouraged to apply.