Details: $15 per hour
254 West 31st Street
NYRP improves, maintains, and programs open spaces in communities lacking adequate resources. Working on public and private land citywide, NYRP’s flexible approach to land management serves as a model for non-profit municipal engagement. Together with partners in city agencies, non-profit organizations, and local communities, NYRP demonstrates the social and environmental value of building ownership over open spaces.
Park Programming Assistant will assist the Swindler Cove Manager and NYRP’s event staff in maintaining and programming Sherman Creek Park, particularly events staged at the Sherman Creek Waterfront Pop-Up Park. Additional tasks will include supporting the general maintenance of parkland in Northern Manhattan. The Program Assistant will have the opportunity to support a range of public programming, including volunteer events, movie nights, public yoga, and arts programming. Stewardship work will introduce the Intern to a wide variety of landscapes, caring for: forest, lawns, wetlands, and gardens. The Program Assistant will join an experienced team that works toward a more equitable and sustainable urban landscape, through park and garden maintenance, restoration, programming and public engagement. Ideal candidates will demonstrate a strong work ethic, comfort engaging the public, an interest in sustainable management practices, and enthusiasm for NYRP’s mission.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Supporting event logistics;
- Garden maintenance;
- Litter removal;
- Light repair and maintenance of park infrastructure including restroom;
- Interact with staff and the public in a courteous manner;
- Lead groups of volunteers;
- Demonstrate efficiencies in time management and project completion;
- Assist in executing greening projects throughout the city.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Interest or experience in a relevant field such as: arts programming, urban planning, or public horticulture;
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions;
- Ability to lift 50-lbs;
- Must be a team-player, willing to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining the highest standards of landscape management and operations;
- Spanish language proficiency preferred;
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested individuals are encouraged to send a cover letter and resume by email to HR@nyrp.org or standard mail to 254 W. 31st Street, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10001.
All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, and shall also follow the requirements of the Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.