Grist is an independent nonprofit media organization that envisions a planet that doesn’t burn and a future that doesn’t suck. It’s our mission to make the story of a better world so irresistible, you want it right now. We are devoted to eye-opening environmental journalism that explores solutions, exposes injustice, and emboldens readers to act. And we go beyond the page to convene leaders bringing about a sustainable world that works for everyone.
We’re seeking a remarkably organized Executive Assistant to support both our Founder and our CEO in managing their busy calendars and providing day-to-day assistance. The ideal candidate will be experienced in handling a wide range of administrative and executive-support-related tasks and will be able to work independently with little supervision. This job is based at Grist HQ in Seattle.
- Set appointments and maintain Founder’s and CEO’s schedules, including internal and external meetings, calls, and events.
- Manage Founder’s and CEO’s daily activities, ensuring efficient use of time, attention to urgent matters, and completion of all tasks on deadline.
- Handle all aspects of Founder’s and CEO’s travel, including arranging transport and lodging logistics, and ensuring other trip details are as streamlined as possible.
- Research, fact-check, proof, and prepare briefings and backgrounders for Founder and CEO meetings as needed.
- Support Founder’s and CEO’s involvement in Grist fundraising efforts.
- Maintain Founder’s and CEO’s contacts and related visitee lists for trips around the country, as well as relevant email lists.
- Draft correspondence and assist with other meeting follow-up as needed, including managing the process of sending out emails to lists of contacts.
- Manage Founder and CEO’s finances, following up on payables and receivables related to their professional expenses.
- Maintain timesheets for Founder and CEO.
- Attend meetings, taking notes and representing Founder and CEO as needed.
- Work with Founder to support the development of a new program area at Grist to convene leaders in sustainability.
- Plan for an internal speaker series, connecting staff to high-profile guests visiting Seattle.
- Perform other tasks and complete special cross-departmental projects for Founder and CEO as needed.
- Be part of our culture club and help in the planning of organizational activities like our annual picnic, holiday party, retreats, and other group activities.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of experience assisting executives
- Proven ability to organize and schedule work effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects at the same time
- An uncanny attention to detail
- Demonstrated proficiency in writing and editing correspondence
- Mad skills with technology, including deep experience with calendar and database systems and strong comfort working with Gmail and other G Suite tools; bonus points for Salesforce, Slack, and Box experience
- Experience working with a board of directors and board members’ support staff
- Bonus points for experience with planning events, preparing slide presentations, and leading design projects
- A sense of humor!
Grist offers good benefits, the opportunity to play a crucial role in an environmental media organization, and a friendly, fun workplace.
Cultivating an inclusive staff is central to Grist’s focus on advancing equity. We’re interested in hearing from people who can work with diverse colleagues of varied experience. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grist is an equal-opportunity employer.
- Medical, Dental, Vision - all partially employer paid
- 15 days of vacation annually
- Transportation pass
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Executive Assistant" in the subject line. We are looking for a thoughtful, personalized cover letter that demonstrates your qualifications and writing style. No phone calls, please.