RefuSHE protects, nurtures, educates, and empowers young refugee women and girls in East Africa through a unique holistic model that provides shelter, education, case management, counseling, childcare, legal advocacy, and vocational training. RefuSHE’s holistic program meets the imminent and longer-term needs of unaccompanied, separated and orphaned refugee girls, young women, and their children.
As part of RefuSHE’s vocational training program, the Artisan Collective provides young refugee women and girls the opportunity to learn leadership and business management skills through the design and production of hand-dyed scarves, and a handful, and growing list, of other products.
Founded in 2008, RefuSHE is a global nonprofit with headquarters in Chicago and operations in Nairobi, Kenya. It is the first and only organization dedicated to refugee girls in East Africa. Today, RefuSHE is poised for strategic growth and scale. We are looking for someone who has a passion for social change, aspires to use their talent for good, and thrives in fast-pace growth environments.
RefuSHE is looking to hire an entry-level Artisan Marketing & Communications Coordinator to lead merchandising and fulfillment for RefuSHE’s Artisan Collective and assist with overall external relations strategy and implementation to help further RefuSHE’s mission.
RefuSHE is looking for an organized, passionate, and social sector-focused (particularly issues related to women and girls and refugees) individual who wants to combine their interest in marketing/communications, fashion merchandising, and event planning to step into our newly created Artisan Marketing & Communications Coordinator role.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Brand Strategy & External Relations, s/he will lead the sales, merchandising, inventory, and fulfillment process for the Artisan Collective and support communications and marketing for the overall organization.
The ideal candidate is ready to combine their passions for communications, fashion, marketing, and public/customer relations with their passion and knowledge of issues related to women and girls, social enterprise, and refugees. This person will be instrumental in sustaining and growing our brand in the U.S. and globally.
S/he will work directly with RefuSHE’s team in both the US and Kenya while collaborating across divisions (both in the US & Kenya) for products and content.
Artisan Collective Merchandising & Sales Fulfillment
- Under the supervision of the Senior Director of Brand Strategy & External Relations, maintain and grow sales outreach list through targeted communications and provide high quality customer service
- Work with Senior Director of Brand Strategy & External Relations to meet and exceed annual Artisan Collective targets for RefuSHE’s DTC product collections
- Maintain monthly sales tracker and provide reports to senior management
- Manage and update brand materials for products (cloth tags, hang tags) and merchandising materials
- Identify, organize, and staff sales events in previous and new markets throughout the year
- Manage and develop content for Shopify website
- Organize and update US inventory on a monthly basis, including coordinating shipments, naming, and creation of SKUs as needed
- Fulfill and ship orders for US customers according to package guidelines, including handwritten notes when necessary
- Forecast demand based on existing data and place orders for US inventory
- Manage communications around new product launches, including uploading products to Shopify, product photography/model photoshoots, writing copy for product pages, creating emails and social content
- Ensure positive relationships with US-based wholesale clients and e-commerce customers through personalized email campaigns, quick response times, and top-notch customer service
- Support new product creation and launches
Marketing & Communications Support
- Under the supervision of the Senior Director of Brand Strategy & External Relations, manage an editorial calendar for content production, posting, and promotion across various digital platforms including Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, website, and email for both the Artisan Collective and the larger RefuSHE organization
- Manage day-to-day content creation and distribution for RefuSHE communications including blog posts, newsletters, email blasts, and campaigns for fundraising, events, marketing, business development, and Artisan Collective sales
- Manage all RefuSHE social media handles including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and LinkedIn
- Maintain and update RefuSHE’s website on a regular basis
- Draft and edit communications materials including blog posts, emails, press releases for both the Artisan Collective and larger RefuSHE organization
- Manage MailChimp to ensure lists are kept updated and clean and work with development team to ensure proper communications between Salesforce and MailChimp
- Monitor and analyze user engagement (e.g. click-through and bounce rates) and report on web traffic for all social media
Event Coordination & Support
- Manage day-to-day logistics of virtual and in-person events supporting the Artisan Collective and RefuSHE as a whole
- Assist with the planning and execution of RefuSHE’s annual signature Fashion Challenge event
- Draft and publish all communications for RefuSHE-hosted events
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred; equivalent life experience considered
- Experience in communications, marketing, and/or public relations; experience working for a nonprofit organization or social enterprise preferred
- Experience in retail, merchandising, and/or fashion design preferred
- Detailed-oriented with excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrated experience in site management and design (Shopify and Squarespace or similar platforms) highly desired
- Ability to demonstrate ability to photograph, light, and merchandise artisan products for high quality presentation on online shop needed
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including a strong ability to tell a story with data
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills with the ability to cultivate relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders
- Experience with social and digital communications platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, YouTube, Loomly, and Mailchimp and various donor management platforms
- Highly organized with a demonstrated ability to manage concurring projects in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working both independently and collaboratively across teams and time zones
- Demonstrated experience managing and planning events, especially as it relates to event communications preferred
- Demonstrated graphic design experience highly desired
- An eye for sharing stories through photography, video, and other multimedia channels a strong plus
- Experience creating short and compelling videos, short films, documentaries a strong plus
- Experience with international nonprofits, knowledge of artisan markets/social enterprise a strong plus
Expectations and Compensation
Travel to Kenya at least once a year may be required. All international travel is currently on hold and will be resumed at a later date once safety concerns regarding COVID have diminished.
While RefuSHE is currently working remotely, this role would need to go into the Chicago office at least one time a week to fulfill and ship online orders.
~$40,000 (DOE); RefuSHE offers a competitive benefits package, inclusive of flexible paid time off, medical (health, dental, vision) insurance, and 401(k).
How to Apply
To apply please send your resume, cover letter, and a 1-2-page creative/writing sample to Mary Henneberry at mhenneberry(at)refuSHE.org with “Artisan Marketing & Communications Coordinator” – (Your Name)” in the subject line.
Applications will be considered incomplete without the submission of all three requirements.
RefuSHE is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ applicants.