September 24, 2020
Veterans Legal Services Job Posting Staff Attorney Position
Join an award-winning and growing organization dedicated to improving the lives of military veterans through civil legal services!
Modifications due to COVID-19 pandemic:
- The position will be conducted primarily remotely through the end of 2020 and is anticipated to be conducted in person from 2021 onward, pending recommendations of public health officials.
- While VLS’s physical office is presently closed, applicants should anticipate commuting to the office in Boston near North Station beginning in 2021.
- In-person clinics and meetings have been suspended until further notice. Program and other responsibilities required for this position are currently being conducted remotely/virtually.
- The staff attorney provides direct legal services to veterans on a broad range of issues to further VLS’s mission of promoting self-sufficiency, stability, and financial security of veterans through free and accessible civil legal services. The staff attorney is supervised by a VLS senior staff attorney(s).
Primary tasks include but are not limited to:
- Meeting directly with prospective and current clients at off-site legal clinics at least twice per month (modified due to pandemic), determining appropriate level of assistance to be provided on each matter, advising and representing clients including in court and agency hearings, managing own caseload including developing case strategy and legal theories and preparation of pleadings and motions that are integrated into overall case plan and strategy, identifying and preparing cases for pro bono referrals, supervising volunteers at legal clinics and in the VLS office, collaborating with other legal services providers to address issues that impact veterans, and performing outreach to veterans and service providers to help those populations to timely identify and address common legal issues.
Secondary tasks include but are not limited to:
- Representing VLS at various events including bar association events (which may include occasional evening work) or continuing legal education panels, participating in public policy advocacy in support of VLS’s client population, assisting with or performing own administrative tasks, training other staff members and volunteers, and assisting with data collection and client stories for grant reporting and communications.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- A J.D.;
- Admission to the Massachusetts bar;
- 2+ years’ experience as a practicing attorney, including courtroom experience and experience drafting a variety of pleadings and motions for domestic relations and housing matters (relevant experience prior to admission to the bar may be considered);
- Excellent written and oral communication with strong attention to detail and accuracy;
- Highly organized, reliable, and flexible with strong multi-tasking and prioritization abilities;
- Ability to meet with clients and work effectively in a variety of environments, such as homeless shelters and Dept. of Veterans Affairs hospitals;
- Ability to work productively and effectively at home as needed;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and G-Suite, with ability and willingness to learn additional online tools, applications, and technologies;
- Self-starter with a positive, can-do attitude who will work well independently as well as part of a team;
- Professional and highly ethical with strict adherence to client confidentiality;
- Courteous demeanor with excellent judgment and strong sense of humor;
- Sensitivity to the circumstances of individuals facing financial, health, and other challenges;
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse range of individuals, including clients, law students, volunteers, attorneys, board members, and funders;
- Willingness to participate as part of a team effort and assist with reasonable tasks as needed in fulfillment of VLS’s mission;
- Ability to adapt effectively to ongoing changes in work environment and willingness to find creative solutions to unexpected challenges; and
- Excitement for VLS’s mission.
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience working at or volunteering with a non-profit legal aid organization;
- Experience or familiarity with family law matters, such as custody/parenting time, child support, and divorce;
- Experience or familiarity with housing matters;
- Experience or familiarity with discharge upgrade cases and veterans’ benefits matters at the local, state, and federal levels;
- Experience with Salesforce and PowerPoint.
- The Staff Attorney position is a 35-40 hour per week position with a salary range of $60,000 - $65,000 annually, dependent on experience. Benefits may include health insurance, short-term disability insurance, long-term disability insurance, generous sick, personal, vacation, and holiday schedule, 401K employer match, partial phone reimbursement, pre-tax MBTA pass program, coverage of annual bar dues, and continuing education opportunities.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Veterans Legal Services highly values diversity and encourages applications from individuals of diverse backgrounds and experiences. Individuals who identify as LGBTQ, veterans, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resumé to StaffAttorneyPosition@veteranslegalservices.org. VLS is unable to respond to phone or social media inquiries. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.