Assistant Director of Human Resources and Payroll
- Job posted by National Association for College Admission Counseling
1050 N Highland Street
The National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) has an opening for an assistant director of human resources and payroll in the Human Resources Department. If you have a passion for human resources and love variety, this may be the position for you! The assistant director assists the director of human resources and administration with the management of NACAC’s benefits, performance management, staffing, employee relations, and payroll programs. The position would be ideal for an experienced HR professional who is certified (PHR or SHRM-CP), loves problem-solving and numbers, has proven HR knowledge through a combination of education and 7-12 years’ experience in human resources, and is able to work independently on many tasks with little oversight. The assistant director also serves as a back-up to all HR areas in the absence of the director so a wide breadth of knowledge in HR is key. The HR team works together to ensure that all human resources processes and policies are carried out in a manner that is fair and compliant with all applicable laws and supportive of the needs of NACAC and its employees.
NACAC is an education association of more than 16,000 postsecondary and secondary schools, organizations, counselors, and college admission and financial aid officers that work with students as they make the transition from high school to postsecondary education. NACAC offers competitive compensation, an excellent benefits & retirement package, and a convenient location one block from the Clarendon metro station in Arlington, Virginia.
Employment/ Employee Relations
- Regularly reviews communications from the Department of Labor, Virginia Department of Labor and other sources of human resources and employment information to keep up to date on actions related to employment, assure legal compliance and minimize risks.
- Assists the director of human resources and administration with monitoring regulatory changes, trends, and NACAC staff feedback to inform recommending program improvements, updates and additions for NACAC’s human resources programs, primarily with respect to benefits and payroll administration but may include other areas as requested.
- Provides guidance to management and staff regarding personnel policies and workplace issues. Identifies issues requiring the attention of a supervisor, CEO, or deputy CEO and ensures documentation and resolution of complaints and performance issues. Briefs director of HR on interactions.
- Prepares hire letters and employee files.
- Conducts new hire orientation meetings.
- Generates, distributes, and tracks employee evaluation and review forms.
- Scans and files payroll, benefits, and employment documents.
- Maintains personnel files and information in a confidential manner, verifies and updates information as necessary.
- Serves as back-up to respond to requests for employm
- Provides back-up support for the recruitment process in the absence of the human resources coordinator or as requested, including assisting with recruitment strategy and writing and placing ads.
- Assists with managing the following benefits as assigned or requested: 403(b) and 457(b) retirement plans, group medical, short-term disability, long-term disability, life and AD&D, employee assistance plan, supplemental insurances, medical and dependent daycare flexible spending accounts, and workplace banking.
- Processes benefits enrollments, terminations, changes, and biweekly retirement plan contributions; provides benefit education to new, ongoing, and potential employees; and researches and resolves any complications.
- Orders benefits supplies and downloads updated materials as needed.
- Serves as back-up point of contact for benefit brokers, vendors and third-party administrators for questions about benefit administration.
- Assists with preparation of annual Form 5500 and Form 8955-SSA filings, non-discrimination testing, retirement plan audits, and updating plan documents and communications.
- Manages employee leave time for proper record keeping and payment.
- Assists with completing paperwork and notifications for FMLA leave, as requested.
- Assists with completing paperwork and notifications for disability claims, as requested.
- Serves as main point of contact for worker’s compensation claims and completes annual worker’s compensation audit.
Payroll and Compensation
- Records and processes information and benefit changes, liens, and garnishments to ensure accurate record keeping and proper deductions. Performs mathematical calculations related to changes, adjustments, and payroll entries.
- Processes and reviews biweekly payroll.
- Creates and maintains payroll records.
- Assists with gathering operational, financial, and census data for compensation and benefits reporting and surveys.
- Updates salary and benefits, staff information, anniversary, and birthday reports.
- Updates information on human resources and payroll related websites and pages.
- Presents human resources and payroll information in one-on-one and group formats.
- Reviews invoices and prepares check requests and journal entries.
- Supports the annual financial audit process. Assists with reconciliations of payroll and benefit general ledger accounts, if requested.
- Provides back-up coverage for the receptionist/HR coordinator at the front desk per scheduled rotation or as required.
- Serves as back-up for all human resources and payroll functions in the absence of the director.
- Additional tasks or projects as assigned.
- HR-related master’s degree, Professional in Human Resources (PHR) certification, or SHRM Certified Professional certification (SHRM-CP), helpful but not required.
- Familiarity with third-party payroll systems preferred, ADP Workforce Now especially helpful.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, psychology, business, or related field.
- Seven to 12 years’ experience in human resources. HR-related master’s degree, PHR, or SHRM-CP certification can substitute for one year of experience.
- Minimum two years’ experience performing similar responsibilities with little management oversight in a mid-level position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Mid-level human resources knowledge in the areas of employment law, employee relations, compensation, benefits, and employee relations, including but not limited to ADA, ADEA, COBRA, EPA, ERISA, FLSA, FMLA, GINA, HIPAA, IRCA, NLRA, ACA, and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.
- Ability and ease with independently applying basic accounting and math knowledge to solve problems including but not limited to pay and benefits adjustments.
- Impeccable attention-to-detail.
- Ability to demonstrate high level of fairness and trust with staff and association leadership.
- High level of integrity and adherence to maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work with frequent disruptions and reprioritize area of focus frequently.
- Ability to act independently with minimal oversight, displaying sound judgment on a day-to-day basis.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally with all levels of staff, vendors, and association leadership in a personable and professional manner.
- Strong understanding of nonverbal communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to negotiate complex interactions.
- Strong organization skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Creativity in the development and improvement of human resources services.
- Knack for identifying data anomalies and persistence in finding and implementing solutions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Basic HTML skills.
EOE M/F/D/V/SO. NACAC is an equal opportunity employer.
Worthy mission to help students!
Generous leave (24+ PTO days and 15.5+ holidays)
10% Retirement plan contribution
Health insurance (PPO/POS/HMO)
Life/AD & D insurance
Flexible spending accounts (medical & dependent care)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, interested candidates are required to submit a cover letter, salary requirements, and résumé. Direct applications only. Staffing agencies are not being used for this search.
EOE M/F/D/V/SO. NACAC is an equal opportunity employer.