Details: The hiring range is $42,241 - $56,863 depending on experience.
3724 National Drive, Suite 100
Agency Description: Disability Rights North Carolina (DRNC), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is the only organization that provides free legal advocacy services to people with all types of disabilities, of all ages, throughout North Carolina. We are NC’s designated Protection and Advocacy agency and recognized leader in advancing disability rights, well established and positioned for growth. (www.DisabilityRightsNC.org)
Job Description: The Communications Coordinator works in collaboration with DRNC staff to design and implement communications strategies to elevate the visibility and image of our work to advance the rights of people with disabilities among key stakeholders, supporters and the general public. This position is integral to both our development and advocacy strategies and offers the opportunity to build upon DRNC’s successes in creative and innovative ways. The Communications Coordinator is supervised by the Director of Development & Communications.
Job Duties include:
- Create and disseminate written and email communications such as newsletters and other educational materials and updates, investigative reports and other publications, impact stories, annual reports, marketing materials and presentations, independently or in collaboration with the Director of Development & Communications or other staff
- Manage media relations, maintain media list, draft press releases, engage with reporters
- Maintain and update the organization’s website
- Manage and expand social media and online community sites to engage key audiences
- Produce videos that support the organization’s communications goals
- Manage photos and videos for website and other uses
- Manage mailing lists
- Conduct outreach regarding DRNC’s work and the rights of people with disabilities
- Assist in developing and implementing a strategic communications plan
- Coordinates and manages events with Director of Development & Communications as needed
- Other related job duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, English, public policy, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Four or more years’ experience developing external communications, preferably in a social justice or nonprofit environment
- Experience working with people with disabilities preferred
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout, design and professional publishing skills, including ability to present concepts verbally
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple complex tasks
- Proficient with digital and social media platforms
- Strong computer skills including Word Press, Microsoft Office and Publisher and/or other relevant software programs
- Working knowledge of video editing software
- Ability to work either collaboratively or independently with minimal supervision
- Keen attention to detail
- Life experience with disability
- Experience in a legal services, nonprofit or public interest environment
- Ability to communicate in ASL, Spanish or another non-English language
Essential functions (with or without accommodations):
· Ability to travel within North Carolina, occasionally overnight or out-of-state
· Ability to occasionally work long hours and/or weekends
· Communicate effectively and expressively both orally and in writing
· Adept at Interacting with people with disabilities
· Exceptional interpersonal skills
· Superior written and verbal communication skills
· Strong project management skills
· Computer and database management skills
Disability Rights NC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in any aspect of employment with regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Individuals who increase the diversity of our team are encouraged to apply. We participate in E-verify.
Compensation Package that is competitive with other non-profits: The hiring range is $42,241 - $56,863 depending on experience. Disability Rights NC offers excellent benefits which include 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision, life and disability as well as generous paid time off and retirement plan with an employer match.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a detailed letter of interest explaining your qualifications and interest in the position, resume, and writing sample of no more than five pages to: email@example.com. Include Communications Coordinator in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please.
Closing Date: November 25, 2018. Position will remain open until filled.