Part Time Temporary
Details: $17-20 per hour
273 D Street
South Boston Farmers Market Manager 2015
The South Boston Neighborhood Development Corporation (SBNDC) is looking for an outgoing individual who is interested in agriculture, food, and community to manage the South Boston Farmers Market (SBFM) this season. The Market Manager is the go-to person for community partners, farmers, producers, and shoppers during the market season. The Market Manager's general responsibilities include: setting up and breaking down the market, helping promote the SBFM, running the EBT/SNAP program, and keeping accurate weekly records of market activities. The Market Manager is the on-site representative for SBNDC, so familiarity with our mission and our programs is a must.
- Provide assistance in market application and permit process.
- Recruit and manage vendors.
- Help promote the market and SBNDC mission.
- Assist with social media and general outreach to promote the market.
- Operate and promote the EBT/SNAP programs.
- Arrive at market before opening to coordinate market set-up and stay at market until all vendors have left (usually no more than 1 hour after market closing).
- Coordinate vendor parking and set-up, ensuring vendors are in the correct space.
- Place signs promoting the market at the SBFM and around the community at key locations prior to opening on each market day, and remove signs at the close of market.
- Staff the SBFM tent providing information about the EBT/Bounty Bucks program to customers.
- Able to document each transaction into the SBFM Daily Logs.
- Assist vendors, community representatives and customers by providing market-related information, conflict resolution and general aid as appropriate.
- Enforce market rules.
- Occasionally assist vendors by providing limited set up help.
- Experience networking with different community resources and agencies required.
- Passionate about the community of South Boston and improving the SBFM.
- Individual must be able to communicate effectively with a variety of people including but not limited to customers, farmers, volunteers, potential sponsoring agencies, health inspectors, police and city transportation officials as well as SBNDC staff.
- Willing and able to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Able to safely lift and carry at least 50 pounds.
- Ability to work independently as well as with the team of volunteers, interns and staff members.
- Possess excellent customer service skills.
- Prior experience with Farmers Market or EBT/SNAP transactions strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred (education in agriculture, nutrition, etc, highly preferred).
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office.
The South Boston Farmers Market is held every Monday from 12:00pm to 6:00pm, including holidays. Preferably, Market Managers are able to commit to a full market season which runs from June 4th, 2018 through October 29th, 2018, but there is some flexibility in start/end dates. Hours are approximately 8 hours per market day and 2 hours of administrative/budget work per week. The rate of pay is $17-$20 per hour based on experience.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Donna Brown email@example.com. Deadline for applications is April 6, 2018.