Full Time Contract
Location: Anywhere in Virginia, but must be willing and able to drive across the state, especially Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads
Classification: Contract through August 15
ABOUT PROGRESS VIRGINIA
Progress Virginia s a multi-issue progressive advocacy organization that combines cutting edge online organizing and communications with rapid and hard-hitting earned media strategies. As Virginia’s leading progressive communications shop, we work all year round to engage citizens from across the commonwealth around issues of immediate state or local concern. Our mission is to provide a strong, credible voice in advancing progressive solutions to critical community problems. But we don’t do that on our own–work as a communications team for the entire progressive community and work closely with our partners to spread our message and work towards progressive victories.
Progress Virginia hosts a virtual office, so all of our staff members work from home at any location in Virginia. Although you’ll be working from home most of the time, all staff members must be willing and able to drive across the state for events and meetings as necessary. Your activities will mostly be focused in Hampton Roads and Northern Virginia, but you may also be required to travel to Richmond, Charlottesville, or other locations within Virginia. Travel to the Hampton Roads area will be the most frequent.
- Develop plans and strategies to hold members of Congress accountable for votes that undermine working families
- Produce and execute unique events that garner community attention and generate press clips
- Write press advisories, press releases, blog posts, social media content, and emails to promote events and spread our message
- Cultivate strong relationships with members of the press, progressive activists, and statewide partners
- Manage and guide a small team of organizers on the ground
- Provide oversight and support for ongoing communications campaigns
- Train activists on communications best practices including storytelling for advocacy, how to get stories covered, using social media for advocacy, and other topics as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills with the ability to tell a compelling story that moves people to take action
- Demonstrated communications experience
- Ability to work from home and be disciplined enough to get things done on a tight deadline
- Travel across Virginia whenever needed, especially to the Hampton Roads area
- Creative thinker who can develop detailed plans and execute them without much oversight
- Team player who is willing to tackle unglamorous tasks in a fast paced environment
- Motivated self-starter who sees that something needs to be done and takes it on
- Preferred: Virginia communications experience and knowledge of the political landscape
- Must have a demonstrated commitment to progressive values
Level of Language Proficiency
Candidates for this position should be fluent in English. Other languages would be a bonus, but are not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes a cover letter, resume, and one short writing sample. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until we find the right candidate. We are looking to hire someone immediately, so please send your application as soon as possible.