The Payroll and Benefits Manager provides leadership in human resources to deliver results in key areas which support KIPP’s mission, strategic goals and values, and support a vibrant, committed and engaged workforce and culture of excellence. Under the guidance of the Director of Human Resources, this position manages broad HR activities including organizing, planning and overseeing payroll, benefits, leaves, workers compensation, audits, compliance, employee relations, and organizational change. Partners with School Leaders and managers to ensure compliance with Local, State and Federal employment laws and regulations and consistent application of company policies across all levels of the organization.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the accurate and timely processing of semi-monthly payroll. Perform quality assurance reviews and process improvements in accordance with applicable laws and KIPP’s policies.
- Oversee system-wide payroll processing, including maintaining payroll information by developing and implementing systems; directing the collection, calculation and entering of data; check distribution; PTO payouts; retroactive pays; and front-end edits.
- Respond to non-routine questions and problems. Protect the confidentiality of payroll. Maintain various payroll and labor allocation reports as required by internal needs and external requirements. Review reports and take corrective action as appropriate.
- Ensure effective review of timecards for accuracy. Notifying supervisors of errors and omissions.
- Ensure proper maintenance of all payroll files, including record retention requirements.
- Oversee day-to-day work of direct reports to ensure integrity of the payroll process and maintenance functions; review and evaluate work for accuracy and proper input and processing of hours, calculations, taxes and deductions, processing of manual checks and other payroll maintenance actions, summaries and reports.
- Assist in payroll check reconciliation. Resolve technical, system and other payroll issues.
- Plan for the timely and accurate preparation, processing and issuance of employee W-2s.
- Keep payroll staff informed and current with pay policies and procedures.
- Ensure adequate documentation of payroll procedures manual and training of staff.
- Administer all aspects of Leave and Workers Compensation Programs, including managing relationships with service providers.
- Manage and oversee the administration of all employee benefits programs and acts as a liaison with brokers, vendors and carriers; oversees all aspects of open enrollment.
- Manage all aspects of payroll and benefits audits and reporting, and coordinate to ensure all deadlines are met.
- Ensure benefit plan testing, notices, plan documents and filings are completed accurately and delivered in a timely manner.
- Facilitate activities and strategies to drive and deliver results in all areas of responsibility.
- Own a portfolio of schools and provide consultative partnership to school leaders.
- Execute proactive and positive employee relations strategies to foster workforce stability and ensure highly engaged employees in a productive and safe work environment.
- Identify need, and set systems and processes in place, to ensure effective communication of HR/Payroll initiatives across all levels of the organization.
- Support and assist with the development, implementation, and consistent interpretation and application of HR/wage and hour policies, procedures and best practices; serve as a subject matter expert and provide advice and counsel to managers and supervisors regarding personnel practices, policy and employment laws.
- Build trust and credibility to influence leadership decisions related to HR/Payroll matters and create effective, strategic and successful partnerships with all stakeholders.
- As needed, conduct effective, thorough and objective investigations and consult with the Director of HR to provide timely responses and resolution, and ensure consistency; manage and resolve complex employee relations issues.
- Partner with RSO and School leaders in effectively executing departmental initiatives to achieve compliance at all school sites and levels of the organization.
- Build strong partnerships with vendors, legal, School Leaders, RSO teams and other partners to foster trust, accountability and excellence.
- Maintain/update HR/Payroll records and employee files in accordance with laws, and policies.
- Contribute to the development of department goals, objectives, procedures and systems which will foster best-in-class overall service.
- Ensure compliance with all Local, State and Federal wage and labor laws and regulations.
- Plan the hiring, onboarding, training and performance management of direct reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 6 to 7 years of payroll experience, including 2 years of supervisory experience and managing payroll for 500 plus employees
- 5 to 6 years of progressive Human Resources experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Human Resources or a related field
- Passion for working in an educational environment
- Extensive knowledge of Federal and State labor and wage laws
- Strong knowledge of human resources principles, procedures and practices
- Strong project and time management skills with ability to multi-task and successfully manage multiple projects and deadlines; proven attention to detail; strong organization skills
- Ability to connect with people with a wide variety of cultural and socio-economic backgrounds, and maintain productive and harmonious relationships across all levels of the organization.
- Highly analytical thinker and proactive problem solver who uses data to develop strategic, effective, efficient and scalable solutions
- Team player with strong presentation and public speaking skills
- Strong interpersonal and persuasion skills, able to establish partnerships working with senior leaders and across organizational lines
- Able to handle confidential information in a mature and professional manner
- Acts with a sense of urgency, and desire to thrive in a dynamically growing, complex and ambiguous educational environment
- High-quality judgment, sound decision-making and unquestioned integrity
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office; advanced Excel skills required
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands
Physical: Sitting, walking, reaching, bending, use of both legs; use of both hands, wrist/arm motion, grasping/holding, use of all fingers; lift, carry/push objects 1-20 lbs.; use of both eyes, color vision, near vision; sense of smell, normal hearing, distinguish sounds in transmission, speaking.
Mental: Stress of deadlines and normal work standards, ability to analyze problems and general alternatives, work with interruptions, concentrate for long periods of time, read, calculate, perform routine math problems, memorize and recall objects and people.
Environmental Demands: Office environment subject to constant interruptions and distractions. Occasional classroom/school environment and travel.
Full-time, exempt position
About KIPP Public Schools Northern California
We are a thriving nonprofit network of 16 free, public charter schools open to all students. At KIPP, we believe all children should grow up free to create the future they want for themselves and that schools can and should be a critical factor in making that vision a reality. Together with families and communities, we create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose—college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Our student community consists of over 6,000 elementary, middle, and high school students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, and Redwood City. 79% qualify for free or reduced price lunch, 23% are English language learners, and 10% have special needs. We strive to cultivate a representative team of teachers and leaders that reflect our students’ diversity.
We are dedicated to you and your family's well-being! KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits.