121 Avenue of the Americas
The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 10,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The goal of The Door’s Career and Education Services Department is to support young people in completing secondary education and successfully transitioning into post-secondary education and employment. Programs within the Career and Education Services Department (CareerED) are designed to help both in-school and out-of-school youth to set and attain their educational and career goals. CareerED services allow a young person to craft a personalized life plan defining the steps they will take to achieve those goals while developing the necessary skills for future life success and independence. The cornerstone of the Door’s career and education services is the EPOCH program, which aims to prepare out-of-school and out-of-work young people for meaningful placements in college and/or employment through the provision of comprehensive education and career services, which develop potential for economic self-sufficiency.
The Career Advancement Coach for This Way Ahead Program will be responsible for planning and facilitating entry and advanced training sessions that will enable participants to understand the opportunities available in retail for both entry-level and long-term employees, develop the skills necessary to succeed in the retail sector, and consider a career in Retail to be a platform for their educational and employment goals.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in social work, education, counseling, public policy, or related field or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in youth development, workforce development, or education fields
- Experience with retail sector employment and training strongly preferred
- Demonstrated experience developing employer partnerships for internships, training, and/or employment opportunities
- Knowledge of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people
- Knowledge of educational/vocational programs for youth, labor market trends and opportunities for youth
- Demonstrated experience in developing lesson plans and facilitating classroom lessons and workshops
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to outreach and engage young people in the educational and career development process
- Ability to closely collaborate with colleagues and work as part of a team to promote successful outcomes for youth
- Ability to model work readiness skills and appropriate work place behavior at all times
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment
- Proficiency in Spanish, French, Mandarin preferred
For additional information please visit:
Minimum Education Required