1720 N Street NW
District of Columbia
Exponent Philanthropy is a membership association dedicated to serving foundations with few or no staff, philanthropic families, and individual donors. Our members operate leanly and practice philanthropy motivated by personal passion, community needs, and the strong desire for better outcomes. Exponent Philanthropy provides high-quality and cost-effective programs, resources, and connections that maximize our members’ dollars and time for the benefit of a variety of diverse communities and causes.
Our organization is defined by our warm and welcoming culture, based on the following principles: relationships come first, one size does not fit all, learning is a life long journey, quality is essential, and inspiration from the collective impact of our members. Our staff are highly collegial, ethical, bright, and customer service oriented individuals with a commitment to quality work.
The Operations team is responsible for supporting the day-to-day operations of Exponent Philanthropy. It provides support to members, staff and building tenants; maintains smooth functioning of the Exponent Philanthropy office and building; and manages technology, supplies and equipment. The Operations team’s interactions with members, visitors and other customers must reflect our organizational culture – customer focused, friendly and high-quality service. The team is led by the Director of Finance & Operations.
The Receptionist / Administrative Assistant is a vital front-line position, responsible for providing members with a critical first impression of the organization. He or she provides valued concierge services and administrative support to the office. The ideal candidate must have excellent verbal, interpersonal and computer skills, be professional at all times. He or she must also be enthusiastic, well-organized, detail-oriented, and highly professional. This position requires the ability to efficiently juggle many tasks.
Front Line Duties:
- Open the office each morning and receiving visitors throughout the day;
- Answer telephones, answer basic questions, and direct calls to staff and subtenants;
- Receive, sort and forward incoming & outgoing deliveries (including mail, fax, FedEx, UPS, etc.);
- Record and process received payments
- Setup and cleanup of conference rooms including catering and equipment;
- Process and fulfill online, fax and over the phone publication orders;
- Maintain kitchen and common areas in proper order;
- Maintain fax machine, photocopier and postage meter;
- Order office supplies and stock supply room;
- Photocopy documents, prepare mailings and assist with other projects as requested;
- File documents (including financial, correspondence, forms, etc.);
- Maintain and update files, database, records, and/or other documents;
- Serve as building/facilities liaison with property management agency;
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the operations of the organization and duties of individual staff members;
Office Assistant Duties:
- Provide backup to Director of Finance & Operations in his absence;
- Provide direct executive assistance to the CEO including;
- Open and sort mail
- Screen phone calls
- Review written materials
- Prep & follow up plans for travel, meetings and speaking engagements
- Assist CEO as directed
- Handle details of a highly confidential and critical nature ;
- Partner closely with other administrative staff for cross-departmental projects and support;
Assistance to Board:
- Work under direction of CEO on Board related items;
- Schedule and coordinate in-person meetings and calls;
- Schedule and coordinate hotel reservations and meet space, group dinners, and special equipment as needed;
- Work with CEO and Board Chair on agendas, collect necessary information and distribute to Board;
- Take minutes during meetings and maintain records, collect necessary materials for distribution;
- Work with CEO and Board Chair for orientation of new members of the board;
- Other duties as requested;
- 3-5 years of experience as receptionist or administrative assistant;
- Associate’s degree is preferred, High school diploma or equivalent is required;
- Capacity and motivation to develop an in-depth understanding of Exponent Philanthropy’s programs, resources and services;
- Excellent written, verbal, analytical and organizational skills with attention to detail;
- Ability to provide high-quality customer service;
- Ability to prioritize, take initiative, and work well under deadlines;
- Ability to work effectively and independently, as well as in a team;
- Willingness to accept and take on new challenges for professional growth;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (e.g., Word and Excel) and aptitude to develop a high level of proficiency with Exponent Philanthropy database;
This is a full time position located at Exponent Philanthropy headquarters in Washington, DC. Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer a comprehensive and generous benefits package including vacation and sick leave, health insurance, a 401(k) retirement plan, and transit subsidies.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
E-mail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: Receptionist / Administrative Assistant Position). Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Although we value initiative, we cannot field phone calls regarding the position.
Exponent Philanthropy is an equal employment opportunity employer. Our organization recruits, hires, trains, and promotes persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, source of income, place of business or residence, pregnancy, childbirth, gender or age (except where gender or age is a bona-fide occupational qualification, as defined by law), genetic information, or physical or mental disability (except where the disability prevents the individual from being able to perform the essential functions of the job and cannot be reasonably accommodated in full compliance with the law).