Details at a glance
- On-site Location
- Parttime - (25 hours)
- 4-Year Degree and experience required
Position Summary: JAZZ HOUSE KIDS is seeking a Full Charge Bookkeeper to support Finance and Operations. The full charge bookkeeper will handle all of the accounting needs of the JAZZ HOUSE including the preparation of financial statements, cash management, bookkeeping, budgeting forecasting and preparation of board reports.
Day-to-day responsibilities include performing all accounting functions and requires extensive QuickBooks experience. In this role, you will book journal entries related to revenue, expenses, payroll, financial statements, and bank reconciliation. The successful candidate will maintain accurate books and records for the organization and provide regular budget and cash flow reports to Senior Management, the Finance Committee, and the Board of Directors. This position requires quantitative and analytical skills to work on various major events and yearlong education programs budgets related to financial modeling for existing and new programs.
Reporting: This position reports to Director of Operations
Direct Reports: The Full Charge Bookkeeper has one direct report, the payroll and expense coordinator, and works closely with all department heads. As Full Charge Bookkeeper, you will be undertaking a pivotal role assisting the Director of Operations.
Oversee all functions within the Finance Department including:
- Record all financial transactions and maintain accurate P&L and Balance Sheet information within QuickBooks.
- Provide effective cash management controls over the JAZZ HOUSE KiDS’ operating funds.
- Manage the overall budget process which includes developing and consolidating budgets with department heads
- Prepare financials for Board meetings
- Complete regular reconciliations with the Development Department and fiscal year close-out; provide data to auditors as requested
- Manage the overall audit process and “task plan” thru conclusion including preparing various financial schedules for the auditors
- Implement necessary internal financial controls and "best practices"
- Prepare protocols for handling money at events and merchandising sales
- Work with the Director of Operations regarding issues related to federal, state and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and financial reporting
- Implement appropriate changes to internal protocols to remain compliant with regulatory laws and rules
Provide budgets and financial reports to JAZZ HOUSE KiDS and the board as needed:
- Responsible for the weekly cash flow report
- Prepare program and event budgeting and reporting for grants
- Provide budget forecast updates as requested
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial statements
- Event budgeting and management of signature events including the Montclair Jazz Festival as well as other scheduled events.
- Review event, program and staff expense reports
- Examine past budgets and estimate future financial needs based on projected revenues and expenses.
Perform all bookkeeping functions for the organization with accuracy and efficiency including:
- Maintain accounting records in Quick Books and maintain accurate Chart of Accounts
- Maintain an organized system of records and
- Track, code and catalog all event and program income and expenses
- Perform account reconciliation on a monthly basis
- Manage accounts payable, accounts receivable, deposits, and cash disbursements to ensure that payments are sent and received on a timely basis
- Manage request, approval, and payment process for internal expense forms
- Prepare monthly billing and record cash and credit card transactions
- Track outstanding/overdue invoices/bills
- Manage petty cash
- Close books at month-end and reconcile accounts
- Update budget and cash flow report on a monthly basis
- Maintain records of non-profit restricted/temporarily-restricted transactions
- Manage vendor and programmatic contracts
Provide oversight to payroll coordinator.
- Coordinate with payroll company for any changes to our account or troubleshooting issues
- Download and reconcile payroll on a bi-weekly basis
- Assure payroll records are maintained as required by auditors
- Field inquiries from staff regarding payroll problems
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business or a related area from a four-year college. Master’s a plus
- At least 5 years of experience in accounting, booking, business management, budgeting, reporting analysis or related financial field
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to the mission
- High proficiency with Quick Book, MS Excel, Google Docs
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Audit prepare experience a must
- Ability to manage high volume of AP and AR accounts and invoices through life cycle of major annual events
- High sense of urgency and efficiency in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with new technologies and ability to provide some tech support a plus
- Large scale events and/or large-scale production management and event budgeting experience a plus
How to Apply: Qualified candidates passionate about JAZZ HOUSE KiDS’ mission should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Salary/benefits competitive with other similar sized community-based arts organizations.