About New York Cares:
By developing programs that respond to pressing community needs, New York Cares — New York City's leading volunteer management organization — provides a lifeline of support to our city's most vulnerable residents. Last year, we mobilized nearly 65,000 individual volunteers and hundreds of companies, civic and youth groups to help improve the lives of over 400,000 struggling New Yorkers. Our volunteers donate their time and talents to over 1,300 nonprofits across the five boroughs to improve education, meet immediate needs such as hunger and homelessness, and revitalize public spaces.
New York Cares prides itself on a culture of excellence, defined by integrity, reliability and professionalism. We have been awarded The New York Times Nonprofit Excellence Award, which recognizes outstanding management practices, and the Peter F. Drucker Award for Nonprofit Innovation. The NonProfit Times, Crain's New York, The Princeton Review and The Wall Street Journal have all recognized New York Cares as a top-notch employer.
About the Position:
Each year, nearly 65,000 volunteers participate in programs to meet immediate needs, revitalize public spaces, and provide educational support to their fellow New Yorkers. New York Cares strives to ensure that all of these programs respond to pressing community needs and that volunteers achieve intended programmatic outcomes. The Research Associate will provide integral support in these efforts by collecting data and documenting the implementation of programs.
This position is in the Community Partner Relations & Evaluation department and will report to the department’s Associate Director. This is a new position. This is an AmeriCorps VISTA position and is a one-year commitment. The start date for the position is Tuesday, January 22nd.
- Provide support for evaluation and programmatic improvement efforts
- Perform on-the-ground data collection, administering surveys and other research instruments on volunteer projects across New York City to assist in efforts to evaluate the effectiveness of volunteer programs
- Collect data on client attendance at volunteer projects
- Perform a combination of desk research and volunteer project observation in order to document the implementation of programs across project sites and ensure programs are adhering to programmatic best practices
- Enter data collected into internal systems, and report on the data collected
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or commensurate experience preferred
- Ability to make a one-year commitment to AmeriCorps and New York Cares
- Ability to travel within the five boroughs of New York City
- Secondary research experience required, primary research experience preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of research ethics and data confidentiality principles
- Demonstrated commitment to volunteerism and service
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team
- Strong background in MS Office and Salesforce, a plus
- Spanish language proficiency, a plus
- Please note that AmeriCorps VISTA requires that members are one of the following citizenship statuses: U.S. Citizens, U.S. Nationals, Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens, or persons legally residing in a state that have the following legal residency classifications: refugee, asylum or asylee, temporary protected status or deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status. If you do not meet these requirements, please check newyorkcares.org/careers for other opportunities.
This is an AmeriCorps VISTA position. The VISTA Member will receive a stipend from the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) of $20,640 per year and a monthly metro card from New York Cares. For more information about AmeriCorps, visit www.americorps.gov.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish language proficiency, a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to New York Cares, Attn: Communitty Partner Relations & Evaluation, by email: email@example.com (please include job title in the subject line). New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer