Full Time Temporary
901 D Street SW
The Smithsonian Science Education Center’s (SSEC) mission is to improve the learning and teaching of STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) in school districts in the United States and throughout the world. The SSEC collects and disseminates information about exemplary teaching resources, develops and disseminates STEM curriculum materials, and sponsors outreach activities, specifically in the areas of leadership, professional development and technical assistance, to help school districts develop and sustain hands-on STEM programs.
For more information about the SSEC, please visit our website at www.ssec.si.edu.
The Graphic Designer is responsible for the design of all SSEC print and digital publications.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a Trust Appointment, not a Federal position. Appointment background investigation is required.
· Develops illustrations across multiple platforms for digital projects such as apps, e-books, games, interactives/simulations, and web,
· Develops illustrations for curriculum projects such as science illustrations and layout,
· Produce marketing materials for various SSEC programs, events, and initiatives, including flyers, posters, invitations, handouts, and presentations,
· Produce print materials for the SSEC’s communications, services, and advancement projects,
· Creates project schedules and manages the quality review process for graphic design projects from beginning to end,
· Serves as point of contact for issues pertaining to branding (such as logos, colors, images, etc.) for print and digital materials,
· Works with digital media team to ensure UI and UX standards during the development of digital products,
· Writes plans and statements of work for new initiatives,
· Manages new graphic design requests/projects,
· Establishes benchmarks/deadlines, and
· Selects and manages SSEC’s digitally-oriented internship projects.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
*A Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or equivalent (STEM background is highly desired).
* Knowledge of the print and digital production process.
*Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite Software (Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, and Photoshop).
*Strong problem solving skills and recommending solutions.
*Skill in working with a variety of people in various settings.
*Strong oral and written communication
*Excellent attention to detail and time management
*Advanced skills in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send by email only: cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to SSEC-HR@si.edu.
Reference in the subject line of your email: Graphic Designer.
Please, no phone calls. EEO