Climate Nexus is a non-profit strategic communications group dedicated to highlighting the impacts of climate change and clean energy solutions in the US and globally. Our work utilizes media relations and strategic partnerships to pitch stories and op-eds to the national mainstream media.
About the position: Climate Nexus is seeking an Electric Vehicles Communications Senior Manager to lead efforts on our electric vehicle and low-carbon transportation workstream. The candidate must be able to work as part of a close-knit team to ensure all projects are of the highest quality and timeliness, and possess knowledge of the energy transition (especially as it pertains to the transport sector), and the media landscape. The candidate will directly report to the co-directors of the Energy Transition team.
- Play a leadership role in efforts to expand the Energy Transition team’s work on the transport sector, specifically the uptake of electric vehicles and shifts to a low-carbon transportation system
- Track the emerging technological, market, and consumer changes of electric vehicles, as well as entrenched opposition arguments, and develop/seed new narratives in the media based on that information
- Develop and execute media relations strategies for this subject area, including identification of tentpole moments, key reporters, and outlets; conceptualize, craft, and pitch stories to reporters in the national media
- Generate placement of stories in the national media that chronicle the politics, business dynamics, and consumer interest behind electric vehicle uptake
- Develop project-specific campaigns in line with the goals of this portfolio
- Coordinate with partner organizations undertaking additional key components of this portfolio, including at the state and regional levels for intel on local EV policy and identifying trends worth addressing
- Develop, maintain, and lead strategic partnerships with key players in this space at the national, state, and regional level including the business community, government, academia, non-profit/NGO, and industry
- Track and evaluate success of workstream goals
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of six to eight years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree preferred
- Demonstrated experience in the areas of media relations, strategic partnerships, narrative development, and the energy transition
- Communications and media relations experience including pitching reporters, developing feature story ideas, drafting op-eds, knowledge of energy transition or electric vehicle news
- Knowledge of and experience working in electric vehicle sector and the energy transition at the national and sub-national level in the U.S. preferred
- Demonstrated ability to identify and successfully place stories in national media outlets
- Demonstrated experience developing project strategy, media campaigns, and evaluating success of each
- Ability to translate complex energy concepts for the media and lay audiences
- Strong research skills, ability to write persuasively, and cite primary sources
- Willingness to hustle and pitch in where necessary, ability to work with a team
- High level of self-motivation and at ease working independently when necessary
- Ability to meet quick deadlines, prioritize assignments, and juggle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with senior management, co-workers, and partner organizations
- Excellent written English, verbal, organizational, analytical, interpersonal listening and communication skills, and attention to detail
- Excellent computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Drive
- Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience
- Benefits package, including:
- Paid personal and sick leave
- Standard health, dental and vision packages
- Employer contributions to 401k retirement account
- Parental Leave
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 1, 2018.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we cannot reply to all submissions. We will contact applicants directly with requests for interviews. Please do not inquire about the status of your application.
This position is based in New York, NY, but we would consider placement in Washington, DC for the right candidate.
Climate Nexus is a fiscally sponsored project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, Inc., an equal opportunity employer. Climate Nexus is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and encourages qualified persons of diverse age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, or military/veteran status to apply.