Details: Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience.
312 North Record Avenue
Role: Director of School Operations
Organization: Collegiate Charter High School of Los Angeles
Reports to: Executive Director
Start date: Immediate (ideally August or September 2018)
Collegiate Charter High School of Los Angeles is a public charter school offering a new model of academic rigor and college preparation in East Los Angeles. The school’s founders believe that all students, regardless of race, socioeconomic class, or country of origin, can achieve at high levels when they have access to high quality K-12 education. Collegiate’s small school model features an extended day and year, individualized tutoring and support to meet all students’ needs, daily academic advising, a rigorous academic curriculum, and intensive college advising to ensure that 100% of our students attend and graduate from the four-year colleges of their choice.
Collegiate opened in August 2015 with 9th grade and currently serves approximately 150 students in grades 9 through 11. The school will add 12th grade in fall 2018, and we will graduate our founding class in spring of 2019. Ninety-three percent of our students are eligible for free or reduced-price lunch; 86% of our students will be the first of first in their families to graduate from 4-year colleges. Tuition-free and open to all, Collegiate serves any student who is ready to commit to the hard work of climbing the mountain to college graduation.
About this Role
Collegiate Charter High School is currently seeking a strategic and dynamic Director of School Operations. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of School Operations (DSO) will lead and manage all school-based work that does not directly relate to instruction or student behavior. The DSO is a cornerstone of the school’s model and will protect the Principal from non-instructional obligations so that s/he can focus exclusively on student achievement and teacher professional development. The DSO will take on a variety of operational responsibilities from overseeing development and implementation of the school’s financial systems to gathering and analyzing school data to ensuring that the school has sufficient materials to equip its staff and serve its students. The DSO will also supervise the Admissions & Parent Engagement Coordinator, as well as two Operations Assistants.
Roles & Responsibilities
Responsibilities of the Director of School Operations include but are not limited to:
Achievement-Oriented School Culture Champion: Create a positive, achievement-oriented, and structured learning environment that excites and invests students, motivating students to realize high academic and behavioral standards:
- Build community by investing families in students’ academic success and development of strong character and leadership traits.
- Hold all students accountable through implementing school’s code of conduct and positive behavior system during transitions, meals, trips, and school events.
- Exemplify Collegiate’s core values in all interactions with students, families, and adult team members.
- Implement with fidelity all shared systems at Collegiate (attendance policy, homework policy, merit system, uniform policy, etc.).
Budget & Finance: Work with the Executive Director and Principal to develop and manage the school’s budget:
- Maintain accurate records of all financial transactions and submit them to the school’s third-party finance staff for processing.
- Participate in monthly meetings to review/account for budget variances; monitor usage of the school credit card.
- Ensure adherence to school’s fiscal policies and procedures by direct reports; participate in annual financial audit process by providing documentation as needed to auditors.
- Manage school’s purchasing process by ensuring that orders are correctly placed with vendors, delivery is tracked, and inventory levels are appropriately managed.
Student Recruitment & Enrollment: Support Admissions & Parent Engagement Coordinator’s work by overseeing student recruitment and enrollment activities:
- Work hand in hand with Admissions & Parent Engagement Coordinator to develop a detailed year-long calendar of student recruitment activities and events.
- Oversee implementation of a robust community outreach and marketing plan.
- Liaise with high school placement team at partner middle schools.
- Ensure that the school opens and remains fully enrolled at all times.
Human Resources: Build and operate best-in-class systems and protocols for all facets of school’s human resources:
- Serve as school’s custodian of records clearing all new employees for hire and maintaining careful and compliant employee records.
- Design and lead the school’s new hire on-boarding process from a logistics perspective.
- Manage benefits offerings working closely with school’s benefits brokers.
- Manage credentialing support and pathways toward full credentialing for all teachers on emergency permits or waivers.
- Ensure that the school’s human resources practices always align with industry standards, best practices, and applicable employment laws and regulations.
School Operations: Build and operate best-in-class systems and protocols for all facets of school operations and manage Operations Assistants’ strong execution of operations excellence across the school:
- Start-of-year readiness: Each year, prepare the campus for start-up/new school year by ordering furniture, equipment, and classroom supplies as well as ensuring that school services (i.e. student food services, student transportation services) are lined up and ready for action.
- Compliance & reporting: With the support of the Executive Director, ensure compliance with all state, federal, and local employment laws and policies; ensure timely submission of all district, state and federal required reports.
- Facility: Oversee the operation team’s work to create and maintain physical spaces within and across the facility that are safe, clean, organized, bright, joyful and scholarly; ensure the maintenance of campus facilities by managing relationship with the campus’ custodial personnel.
- Student services: Manage the school’s food and transportation services by coordinating with service providers and overseeing full implementation of vendor contracts.
- Supplies: Manage the school’s supply and asset inventory ensure strong procurement and inventory management practices by Operations Assistants.
- Events and field trips: Provide oversight of the planning and execution of school special events, such as field lessons, academic conferences, and graduation.
- Testing: Oversee the administration of all high-stakes exams; maintain all assessment data records and produce assessment data reports upon the request of the Principal or Executive Director.
- Data and information systems: Manage the configuration and use of the school’s student information system; ensure implementation of a robust calendar of data dashboards and disseminate progress reports to school staff, parents and scholars and ensure the timely production of student report cards and transcripts; ensure that student records are properly maintained and updated at the school.
- Chief of staff: Co-create and actively manage the master calendar, master schedule, and communication platforms with the Principal ensuring that the school’s communication and calendar infrastructure is strong.
Management and Leadership: Manage a team of developing operations professionals:
- Directly supervise and coach the Admissions & Parent Engagement Coordinator, as well as two Operations Assistants; delegate execution of operations work to team members as appropriate ensuring strong results.
- Actively serve on the school’s leadership team, which also includes the school’s Executive Director, Principal, Dean of School Culture and Director of College Counseling.
Experience, Mind Sets, Skills, and Qualifications
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to Collegiate’s mission, vision, and educational model
- Extremely high standards for student achievement and student behavior
- High level of personal organization, planning, and follow-through
- Team player: maturity, humility, strong work ethic, follow-through, sense of humor, relentless optimism, and a “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude
- At least 2 years of school operations experience (preferably in a California charter school) in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, especially with students and parents
- Adaptability and the patience to successfully navigate school start-up work
- Experience managing cross-functional teams to develop and implement systems and processes to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of a growing organization
- Willingness to work autonomously, collaboratively, and/or under the direction of senior leadership, as needed
- Acute attention to detail coupled with the ability to think and act strategically
- Flexible and able to multi-task; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems
- Bachelor’s degree from a competitive 4-year college or university
Collegiate offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent written and oral English required; strong written and oral Spanish strongly preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To be considered for this role, please email your resume and cover letter to Executive Director Vanessa Jackson at email@example.com, and complete the online candidate application: http://www.collegiatecharterhighschooloflosangeles.org/candidate-application.