1616 Rhode Island Ave. NW
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decisionmakers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The CSIS Office of External Relations seeks a full-time, highly motivated, temporary design assistant to join our dynamic and fast-paced environment to start in August 2018. This is a nine-month temporary position. The design assistant will work closely across the Center on creative, publications, and marketing projects, partnering with some of the most respected foreign policy experts and researchers.
The design assistant will also work closely with the iDeas Lab, CSIS’s award-winning creative and digital production department, which enhances CSIS's policy research and analysis with the latest in web development, design, and video. You can see some of our latest at www.csis.org/programs/dracopoulos-ideas-lab. The iDeas Lab is a creative environment composed of developers, designers, and video/audio producers who are eager to bring information and public policy analysis to life.
This is an ideal opportunity for a graphic designer with print and digital experience in a non-profit or corporate environment, and who brings a passion for creating compelling products. The successful candidate will have strong creative initiative and independent self-direction, coupled with an aptitude for design and collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team. Additionally, the candidate will be a team player, possess excellent communication and project management skills, and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced and innovative environment while meeting tight deadlines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Design and execution of a range of CSIS materials and products including policy reports, newsletters, report covers, event handouts, brochures, business cards, stationery updates, e-mail banners, presentations, and charts/graphs.
· Design and create a range of printed marketing collateral for high level CSIS events and functions, fundraising efforts, and other outreach initiatives.
· Design and create graphics and data visualizations for use on the web, print, and social media.
· Manage multiple projects across departments and demonstrate an ability to work within established deadlines, processes, and branding guidelines.
· Able to work autonomously, but also collaboratively with peers and cross functional team members in creating graphics/materials consistent with established styles and branding.
· Other duties and projects as needed.
Level of Language Proficiency
- B.A./B.S/A.B. in relevant field;
- 1+ years of experience in the field of Graphic Design/Communications;
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and experience designing in Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, and Excel;
- Strong creative vision and ability to suggest design solutions for depicting information and complex data visually;
- Familiarity with the print production process and preparing art files for print;
- Deep understanding of composition/layout, strong typography skills, and clean design aesthetic;
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills; including effectively presenting information to non-technical partners, operating in a fast-paced environment and managing competing priorities;
- Strong attention to detail, initiative, and follow through skills;
- Environmental design experience is a plus;
- Strong interest in global affairs and public policy is a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit a cover letter and resume along with a link to your online portfolio to the CSIS website at https://csiscareers.silkroad.com. Finalists will be asked for references.