One man in nine will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime and one in 41 will die from prostate cancer, second only to lung cancer in terms of cancer related deaths. It is estimated that this year in the US, 91 men will die per day from prostate cancer.
With over 30 years of experience, we fund high-quality medical research projects at some of the UK’s leading institutions in prostate cancer, ranging from early-stage research to drug development. In 2019 we increased our number of grants by 175%, and so while our mission remains unchanged, we have embarked on a bold new chapter.
We are not only scaling up our research capacity, but changing our approach by connecting our scientists and patients, and diversifying our funding portfolio. Our sights are set high for the future and we won’t rest until we find better treatments for prostate cancer. To maximise our impact and accelerate development of new treatments, we have identified the need to expand our reach to the US to both attract funding and fund great science in the US in 2021. Our ambition is to become a world centre of excellence for prostate cancer research through funding excellent scientists and clinical researchers both within the UK and the USA.
The Development Manager will lead on all development and fundraising efforts in the US. The role will have responsibility for planning, organising, and directing all of PCR’s fundraising in the US focused on grant givers and high net worth individuals. We are looking for a highly motivated individual to be our main fundraising lead in the US to liaise closely with and be supported by our London based fundraising team. The successful candidate will have a wealth of knowledge of grant givers in the US and know how to build a portfolio and solicit gifts from Major Donors.
Like all organisations Covid-19 has impacted fundraising. However, thanks to a strong financial base, a forward thinking board and flexible staff team we have been able to spend the last 12 months building internal structures, creating new relationships and focusing on potential areas of growth.
Work alongside the Fundraising Director on the following:
- Develop and deliver the fundraising strategy and lead on income generation for PCR in the US focused on grant givers and high net worth individuals.
- Deliver on a target of $300k from grant givers, major donors and corporates in year one.
- Develop a strong pipeline of potential funders for PCR in the US.
- Manage the income and expenditure budget for PCR fundraising in the US.
- Manage a Development Assistant based in the US or UK in order to successfully research, steward and maintain reliable records on all new US funders.
- Work closely with other PCR departments in the UK to identify, develop, and maximise income generation opportunities by collaboratively creating effective fundraising appeals
- Work collaboratively to identify partnerships opportunities with other key stakeholders, including US based charities.
- Prepare performance reports for the board on income generation in the US by workingwith the Fundraising Director and CEO to report and evaluate progress.
- Assist with the management of the donor database including uploading new and updating existing donor information.
- Represent PCR externally e.g. networking events and conferences to enhance and strengthen the organisation’s profile.
- Develop a portfolio of prospective donors and supporters and arrange and attend meetings in-person and virtually with donors to establish effective communications and relationships with them.
- Liaise with PCR’s US board on a regular basis to utilise networks and contacts and keep them informed of progress and produce reports where needed.
- Participate in PCR staff meetings and speak with the Fundraising Director based in the UKat least once/fortnight on a 1:1 basis, and more often, as necessary.
Trusts & Foundations
- Develop the overall trust fundraising strategy and contribute to the annual plan by identifying further opportunities for growth from the trusts and grants sector.
- Manage PCR’s income generation from grant-making Trusts & Foundations.
- Manage the grant giving process from building relationships, writing compelling fundraising bids, stewarding donors and writing engaging reports.
- Manage and develop a portfolio of existing PCR Trust & Foundation donors.
- Plan and manage trust fundraising budgets, liaising with the Finance Manager when necessary.
Major Gifts- High net worth individuals and corporates
- Work closely with the Head of Major Gifts to implement special events such as “Meet the Scientists” and other conversations with major and potential major donors.
- To lead on our US strategy for generating a pipeline of high net worth individuals and corporate funding prospects.
- To personally manage a portfolio of high-level donors to secure five, six and seven figure gifts and ensure their long-term commitment to the charity.
- To ensure planned financial targets are met.
- To ensure that supporters are cultivated, stewarded, thanked and recognised as appropriate.
Act as a key member of PCR Team
- To play a lively and active role in the PCR Fundraising team, liaising with other departments as appropriate, giving presentations to staff and taking part in training sessions
- To add value to the Fundraising team helping to grow income over the next five years
- Have a strong understanding of the US fundraising landscape
- Have a strong commitment to improving the impact of Prostate Cancer on people’s lives.
- Be entrepreneurial, highly self-motivated, energetic, a good listener and enjoy developing relationships
- Possess strong interpersonal and writing skills
- Is organised on tasks and goals
- Have at least 5 years’ experience in fundraising for a non-profit health care organisation
Location: Flexible -will be based at home to start with, and then an option for a US based office
location when required.
Salary: $55,000-$65,000 plus health insurance and pension contribution