Real Food Generation (“RFG”) harnesses the power of youth and universities to create an equitable and sustainable food system. After winning dozens of campaigns nationally that have resulted in $80 million committed to our definition of “Real Food” annually, we have proven that student organizing can drive substantial change in the food chain in every region of the country at a wide variety of schools. Building off of our successes, RFG launched two new initiatives in 2018. The Real Meals Campaign is an unprecedented coalition of national organizations representing farmers, ranchers, fishermen, and environmentalists working to change the food service management industry. Uprooted & Rising is a movement to end college and university support for Big Food and white supremacy in the food system and to direct the energy of our generation toward food sovereignty.
Real Food Generation is a fiscally-sponsored project of TSNE (www.tsne.org). For more information see www.realfoodgen.org.
ResponsibilitiesThe Grassroots Communications and Fundraising Coordinator will: 1) expand our grassroots fundraising program, building a base of grassroots financial support for Uprooted & Rising and 2) develop and implement communications and digital strategy for RFG, and 3) boost local campaign engagement and support. This individual will be expected to take initiative, problem-solve on the fly and work with a diverse, and often geographically dispersed team.
Individual & Grassroots Fundraising
- Implement grassroots fundraising strategies, coordinated with direct action and other movement activities, recruiting thousands of supporters into Uprooted & Rising;
- Work with Uprooted & Rising's local resourcing team to develop fundraising systems and initiatives for the movement;
- Help Uprooted & Rising leaders develop local fundraising strategies;
- Implement digital fundraising efforts, including through email and social media fundraising;
- Coordinate fundraising administrative tasks, e.g. gift acknowledgments, working with online donation processing systems;
- Transition, develop, and maintain robust systems for grassroots fundraising across the organization and the movement;
- Work with the Senior Director of Campaigns to maintain the donor and contact database so that it is up to date and error-free. Support staff in using the database to track interactions with donor contacts.
- With Senior Director of Campaigns, develop and execute communications strategy
- Advance digital strategy for Uprooted & Rising and Real Food Challenge;
- Liaise with the Community Coalition for Real Meals to align on communications strategy for the Real Meals Campaign;
- Maintain a calendar of releases for projects and campaigns, with regular e-blasts and digital releases every 3-6 weeks;
- Lead the development of new messaging and resources as needed.
- Administer communications infrastructure
- Regular social media posts;
- Website updates;
- Systems for tracking and managing photos, video, press, etc.;
- Support the management of RFG's communications and tech budget.
- Create, edit and release digital content
- Build online following and engagement on multiple platforms (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc.) through consistent content campaigns;
- Video political education content campaigns;
- Coordinate livestream postings for Uprooted & Rising.
- Support local groups
- Train and create material to support local Uprooted & Rising leaders in communications strategy and execution.
- National coordination
- Attend in-person retreats with teammates for movement and organization strategy;
- Coordinate and collaborate with other staff and teams.
We will consider exceptional candidates who demonstrate a strong combination of the specific qualifications and skills described below.
- An understanding of and passion for food justice, racial justice and youth power;
- A passion for food sovereignty and a clear personal stake in transforming the food system and higher ed's role in the food system;
- A commitment to anti-racism, economic justice, collective liberation, and youth power;
- A proven track record of successful fundraising for social movements;
- 2+ years experience in communications, digital organizing, or fundraising;
- Experience and comfort managing databases, especially CRM systems;
- 2+ years' experience with social movements, community organizing, winning campaigns and building momentum;
- Strong writing and public speaking skills;
- Personal, professional or volunteer experience or training four of the following areas:
- Creating visually dynamic and engaging content for social media (especially Instagram, Twitter, and Youtube) and maintaining a digital content schedule;
- Launching or maintaining a blog (video or written);
- Graphic Design using Canva, Photoshop, InDesign or Illustrator;
- Translating complex political topics into engaging and digestible multimedia “think-pieces” or op-eds that connect advocacy work to relevant news/media topics;
- Making scripts or concepts for political education or informational videos (similar to NowThis+ or CollegeHumor);
- Editing videos using After Effects, iMovie, Premiere or Whiteboard Animation Software.
- Excellent ability to build strong working relationships; ability to build new relationships through networking, leading to positive results;
- Strong self-motivation, a “hunger” for campaign success and an eagerness to be challenged;
- Team leadership or meeting facilitation experience (or strong interest);
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize and problem solve while working with a team through a remote setting;
- Exceptionally well organized with an eye for detail;
- Understanding of college and university power structures, on-campus student activism and student group dynamics; experience working with college-based student activists;
- Political education training or experience, preferred.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those for this position. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. Work is performed in an office environment and in close proximity to other workers.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to:
- Handle, or feel objects, tools or controls;
- Reach; traverse; sit (usually for longer periods of time); occasionally ascend/descend; and position self (to) move;
- Job is not subject to significant occupational or environmental hazards;
- Likelihood of personal injury would be relatively slight;
- Environmental and work hazards are not present to a measurable degree.
Compensation and Benefits
Location: This is a remote position and can be based anywhere in the United States of America, though preferred locations include places where current staff are based: Boston, MA; St. Louis, MO; New York City, NY; Los Angeles, CA.
Compensation: The pay range for this position is $18.46 - $22.00/hr and is commensurate with experience and location.
Benefits: This position is eligible for a generous benefits package which offers health insurance, significant paid time off, and access to modest professional development funds.
TSNE/RFG envisions a society grounded in the principles of social and economic justice. As such, we strive to achieve excellence through a diverse and inclusive workplace that honors the unique talents and lived experiences of each person. Our vision and values are reflected in all our employment-related decisions, including hiring practices. Accordingly, TSNE actively seeks people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work.
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE/RFG will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, veteran or disability status or any other factor prohibited by law.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/X7WZgXHgVV48IqbAueQ7Y" />