Details: Commensurate with experience
Code in the Schools is a non-profit organization whose mission is to expand learning opportunities for underserved and underrepresented youth in the field of computer science. Code in the Schools currently serves twenty schools and community partners around the city, and is expanding quickly. We are currently looking for instructors for our 2018-2019 school year in-school programming. Instructors will be responsible for planning and implementing the Code.org Computer Science Fundamentals curriculum. Class locations include public schools and community centers throughout Baltimore City.
- Complete Code in the Schools onboarding and training
- Differentiate computer science curriculum to needs of various student populations
- Research and implement new computer science tools into course
- Create and document computer science curriculum, lesson plans and instructional activities for use throughout Code in the Schools courses
- Organize and prepare materials and equipment to foster a positive learning environment
- Have reliable transportation and arrive at all classes in a timely manner for set-up and preparation
- Ensure a safe and healthy environment for a group of 15-20 elementary, middle or high school-aged students at all times
- Understand and adapt teaching strategies to youth with a variety of learning styles and capabilities
- Teach, direct, and supervise students in computer science in-school courses
- Engage students in discussions about Digital Citizenship and careers in CS
Data Collection (5%)
- Submit pertinent student attendance, demographics, and other relevant data as needed
- Administer diagnostic and data-tracking tests at the beginning and end of every course
- Work together with colleagues (Executive Director, Program Director and other Computer Science Instructors) to deliver high quality programs for youth
- Meet monthly for full-staff meetings and professional development
- Maintain open communication with guardians of students and school site supervisors at all times
- Maintain consistent communication with Program Director via text, email, Slack, and phone
- Two years of experience teaching groups of 10 or more children, preferably in urban areas
- Willing to work in diverse communities, in underperforming schools, and low-socioeconomic areas.
- Independent and self-motivated
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Familiarity with video game development, robotics, electrical engineering, circuitry, app development, STEM concepts, and related topics a plus
- Certified Teacher in the state of Maryland a plus
- Must submit to and complete fingerprinting and background check process
Code in the Schools offers generous PTO benefits for all full-time employees (including sick and vacation leave), provides numerous paid holidays, and has medical, dental, and vision insurance plans that one can choose if desired.
Level of Language Proficiency
English; knowing various programming languages (C++, Java, Python, etc.) is a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Code in the Schools is committed to the principles of diversity and inclusivity. We prohibit any discrimination or harassment based on a person's race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veterans status, marital status, genetic information, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law. This policy covers all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotions, termination, pay, and the work environment.