1991 2nd Avenue
DREAM Charter School, a rigorous, K-10 public charter school in East Harlem, is seeking a dynamic and engaging individual to serve as a Family Engagement Manager. DREAM Charter School's mission is to prepare students for high-performing high schools, colleges and beyond through a rigorous academic program that develops critical thinkers who demonstrate a love of learning, strong character, and a commitment to wellness and active citizenship.
DREAM Charter School is a part of DREAM (formerly known as Harlem RBI). DREAM serves over 1,700 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time. DREAM was recently recognized as one of the Best 50 Non-Profits to Work For in the country by The Nonprofit Times.
Like all DREAM employees, the Family Engagement Manager should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and DREAM Charter School and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop, promote, implement, and track DREAM Middle School Family Engagement Programming including:
- Design, implement, and evaluate Middle School -specific Family Engagement activities and events including: MS Family Cafés, MS Family Learning walks, MS Culture Fair, MS Poetry Night, MS Family Conferences and more.
- Partner with school staff and outside organizations to organize MS specific family workshops based on areas of interest identified by MS families and staff including MS Transition workshop, HS Transition workshop, Adolescent Development 101, How to Talk So That Your Teen Will Listen and Listen So That Your Teen Will Talk, Safe Sex, and more.
- Schedule, Implement, and Track Completion of Family Visits for all DREAM MS scholars.
- Oversee the management of MS Classroom Captains, MS Family Volunteers, MS Family Ambassadors, and the 8th Grade Family Graduation Committee.
- Collect, analyze, and share DREAM and DOE family satisfaction surveys.
- Drive production of DREAM MS family communication including the DREAM MS Family Guide and family facing fliers, emails, texts, robo calls, letters, and handouts.
- Co- manage the growth and development of the DREAM Family Action Council (DFAC).
- Collect information about recreational and educational opportunities for DREAM MS families and students and publicize them to families.
- Build and maintain positive trust-based relationships with DREAM scholars, staff, and families.
- Serve as a liaison between Middle School families and staff.
- Support Elementary School Family Coordinator with Elementary School events and activities.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission, goals, educational philosophy and activities of DREAM Charter School, as described in the school’s charter.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and writing skills.
- Ability to develop outreach materials to engage and connect with families.
- Ability to develop and organize large events.
- Ability to organize and support volunteers.
- Social Work or community organizing degree preferred.
- Significant work experience in a school or community based agency setting.
- Direct service experience with youth and families in a diverse, low-income community.
- Experience with organizing and planning large events.
- Bilingual English/Spanish required.
Minimum Education Required