District of Columbia
The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Specialist will be a part of Freedom House’s Program Strategy, Development and Learning Division (PSDL). This position will provide technical assistance to Freedom House's international program division. The program division has five regional divisions receiving public donor grants and this position will work across divisions providing MEL guidance, training, and technical support. This includes support at the project design/proposal development stage, during implementation of monitoring and evaluation processes and systems, research and reporting.
The position will be based in Washington, DC and will report to the Senior Design, Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist.
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, research methods, international affairs, international development, or a related field; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in developing, implementing, and managing DME activities for an international organization.
- Familiarity with US government and international funding agencies’ evaluation policies
- Project design and proposal experience, including crafting theories of change, logical and results frameworks, and monitoring and evaluation plans.
- Experience or significant training in both quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis methods
- Knowledge of and ability to apply different evaluation approaches and methodologies.
- Self-motivated and capable of taking initiative, as well as the ability to work effectively both independently and within a team
- Ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines, and employ creative problem-solving
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- High standards of integrity, professionalism, ethics, and respect for different cultures
- Strong commitment to ongoing professional development and networking within the M&E field
- Ability to travel approximately 10% of the time
- Experience as a trainer, preferably in DME skills
- Proficiency with one or more data management, data analysis, and/or data visualization software platforms preferred
- Technical expertise in one or more of the thematic areas in which Freedom House works, including human rights, democracy promotion, governance, civil society development, LGBTI rights, gender equality, internet freedom, and/or transitional justice preferred
- At least 6 months to a year of practical field-based experience in DME and/or results-based project management preferred
- Knowledge of participatory methods, mixed methods, outcome mapping, most significant change, and/or advocacy evaluation techniques preferred
- Familiarity with strategic planning and internal policy development processes preferred
- Experience supporting organization-wide measurement systems preferred
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide detailed technical guidance and assistance in the creation and implementation of project-specific DME systems (e.g. developing project theories of change, logic models, performance indicators, monitoring and evaluation plans, data collection tools, reporting templates, reflection/learning processes)
- Train and provide ongoing coaching to staff and local partners in DME principles and practice
- Assist with project design processes and contribute to proposal development
- Provide input into effective data collection procedures that meet best practice standards, including in insecure environments or with vulnerable populations
- Participate in periodic internal evaluations and manage external evaluations
- Create and/or contribute to institutional learning and knowledge management processes
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application here https://chj.tbe.taleo.net/chj04/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=FREEHOUS&cws=1&rid=924 and submit a resume, and cover letter with desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position).
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.