District of Columbia
Fowler Education is a pioneer in innovative and affordable education products that prepare students with today’s most in-demand skills and ensure a seamless transition into their careers. Our vision is to build Africa’s largest education company that empowers all young people with the skills, knowledge, and confidence to pursue their dreams. Our first product, the Akilah Institute, is the only women’s college in Rwanda. Our unique competency-based, careers-focused education model has a 88% job placement rate. We are opening an Akilah campus in Uganda in 2019. We are launching a co-ed college in the region, plus developing certificate courses and pilots in secondary education. Our aim is to serve up to one million students by 2030.
The Executive Assistant is a key member of the US team, supporting all operations and departments of the Akilah Institute. The Executive Assistant works closely and collaboratively with the President, Talent and Human Resources Manager, the CFO, Director of Finance and HR, and other senior management, and with the Executive, Development, and Academic teams. This position supports current expansion efforts in East Africa and leads on the duties and projects outlined below. The position reports to the President.
- Coordinate Executive Team-related activities, including scheduling executive retreats and departmental meetings, taking minutes, preparing the agenda and other documents, and development and implementation of OKRs, and managing other related activities throughout the year
- Assist the President and CFO with scheduling, travel arrangements, expense reporting, SalesForce tasks, document preparation, social media, partnerships and outreach, speaking engagement prep, and email correspondence
- Coordinate the Project Akilah, Inc./Akilah Foundation Board of Directors including scheduling board meetings, preparing board presentations and other documents, and managing activities throughout the year
- Manage all Fowler Education board and corporate documents
- Undertake special projects related to academics, program expansion, communications, finance and human resources
- Co - lead on special projects such as Akilah Going Green effort, Girls’ Charge Transitions Working Group, B Corp Certification, and other projects as identified
- Support Project Akilah, Inc, Fowler Education, and Akilah Institute HR teams with job descriptions, resume screening and initial candidate phone screens; develop, edit and update employee handbook policies as needed; conduct research on and update employee medical benefit options
- Prepare all US vendor and employee contracts for review by the US Director of Finance & HR
- Assist US Director of Finance and HR with HR related tasks including but not limited to HR research, templates, tracking, etc.
- Assist with semi-monthly payroll preparation and serve as the principal payroll backup
- Assist the Finance team with contracts, banking, budgets, and other operational needs
- Support the development team with campus visits, Akilah Scholars Circle and grants and updating donor information in Salesforce
- Manage capital items shipping and receiving, and provisioning of campuses
- Co-lead google drive restructure and updates with Director of Business Systems and Director of Finance and HR
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in a related field, or significant experience in the field
- Demonstrated interest in international development, women’s empowerment, and education
- Knowledge of SalesForce, Asana and Google Team Drive
- Ability to anticipate problems before they arise in regards to operations
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects at once
- Ability to work as part of a team and also take initiative on individual tasks with minimal oversight; Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to represent the Institute in external settings and with key supporters in a professional manner
- The demonstrated maturity and professionalism to be able to handle and respect sensitive and confidential information both during and after the employment period
Work Environment/Physical Requirements:
No specific physical requirements. Ability to travel outside of the country.
Job Responsibilities Statement:
The above statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities and competencies considered necessary to perform the essential duties & responsibilities of the job and should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. Fowler Education may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Fowler Education provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, or non-disqualifying physical or mental handicap, disability, or any other protected class per federal, state or local law.
Americans with Disabilities Act:
Applicants as well as employees who are or become disabled must be able to perform the essential duties & responsibilities either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The organization shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 13, 2018 with the subject line: Executive Assistant Application - [Full Name].