Details: Salary commensurate with experience
360 East 161st Street
The Bronx Defenders – an innovative, progressive, holistic indigent defense office in the South Bronx – seeks an energetic individual with a commitment to social justice to join our Criminal Defense Practice as a Spanish-Speaking Investigator.
BxD is a public defender non-profit that is radically transforming how low-income people in the Bronx are represented in the justice system, and, in doing so, is transforming the system itself. BxD seeks thoughtful, creative, energetic individuals with a strong commitment to social justice to join our dynamic staff.
Our diverse staff of over 350 includes interdisciplinary teams made up of criminal, civil, immigration, and family defense attorneys, as well as social workers, benefits specialists, legal advocates, parent advocates, investigators, and team administrators, all of whom collaborate to provide holistic legal and social service advocacy. Through this integrated team-based structure, we have pioneered a groundbreaking, nationally-recognized model of representation called holistic defense that achieves better outcomes for our clients.
Each year, we defend 27,000 low-income Bronx residents in criminal, civil, child welfare, and immigration cases, and reach thousands more through our community intake, youth mentoring, and outreach programs. Through impact litigation, policy advocacy, and community organizing, we push for systemic reform at the local, state, and national level. We take what we learn from the clients and communities that we serve, and launch innovative initiatives designed to bring about real and lasting change.
Role & Responsibilities
- Locating, interviewing and taking detailed statements from prosecution witnesses who are accusing our clients of committing a crime
- Locating favorable defense witnesses
- Performing Department of Motor Vehicles, public record, and criminal background investigation
- Gathering time sensitive video surveillance, photographing and diagramming crime scenes, preparing courtroom exhibits, and writing memoranda regarding investigative efforts and results
- Effectively communicating with attorneys and advocates for a comprehensive investigative strategy
- Assisting attorneys with case development
- Occasionally testifying in court proceedings
- A minimum of an Associate’s Degree
- Experience working in and with racially and socioeconomically marginalized communities
- Interest in and a commitment to social and criminal justice issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to connect with reluctant parties
- Ability to multitask and prioritize effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to and comfort in navigating the Bronx community, conducting in-home interviews and visiting crime scenes
- Exceptionally resourceful and persistent in gathering necessary evidence
- A valid driver's license
- Fluency/high proficiency in Spanish required, candidates selected for interviews will be tested
The schedule of investigators often varies according to the availability of the witnesses, thus Investigators must be flexible and available to work on the occasional evening or weekend.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish fluency/high proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please visit our career portal at the link above, click APPLY FOR THIS JOB ONLINE and upload both a cover letter and resume as a single document when prompted. Applications missing any components or not submitted in the requested manner will not be considered.
The application deadline is Friday, September 21st, 2018, but applications will be considered on a rolling basis and decisions will be made as soon as appropriate candidates are identified. Please contact Elena Arons, Investigations Supervisor, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding the position
The Bronx Defenders is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations, and communities to apply.