One Liberty Plaza
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, INSTITUTIONAL DEVELOPMENT
FOR WORLD-RENOWNED MUSEUM
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is seeking an Associate Director, Institutional Development. The Associate Director, Institutional Development will report to the Director, Corporate, Institutional, and Global Partners, and is responsible for developing and managing a strategic plan for soliciting support from foundations, government agencies and elected officials for exhibitions, educational programming, general operations and capital projects at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, and other selected programs at the museum’s international partners and affiliates.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, architecture, and other manifestations of visual culture, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods. The Guggenheim realizes this mission through exceptional exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim strives to engage and educate an increasingly diverse international audience through its unique network of museums and partnerships. With nearly three million annual visitors worldwide, the Guggenheim and its network form one of the most visited cultural institutions in the world.
- This position manages department staff, including two Managers of Institutional Development, and an Institutional Development Coordinator; interns; temporary employees and volunteers.
- Identify, cultivate and directly solicit foundation and government funding prospects in conjunction with the Director, Corporate, Institutional, and Global Partners, senior museum staff, curators and project directors.
- Develop detailed and competitive written proposals and project budgets.
- Identify museum funding needs and supervise prospect research to create a portfolio of diverse foundation and government funding sources.
- Coordinate with Director, Corporate, Institutional, and Global Partners, the federal, state and city lobbying efforts with consulting firms engaged by the Guggenheim.
- Supervise tracking of RFPs and other publicized funding opportunities.
- Develop and continually monitor revenue projections and financial analyses.
- Ensure compliance with foundation and government funding regulations.
- Collaborate with Corporate and Individual Development staffs on joint funding projects.
- Keep abreast of Guggenheim programming through ongoing contact with Curatorial, Education, Exhibition and administrative staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- B.A. or B.S. degree. M.A. desirable.
- 7-10 years institutional fundraising experience, preferably for cultural institutions
- Demonstrated track record of success in securing major foundation and government funding.
- Superior writing skills, attention to detail and high standards for presentation of written material.
- Experience in budgeting, compliance and reporting related to foundation grants and government contracts.
- Familiarity with the foundation community; local, state and federal government agencies; and elected officials.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines, with strong attention to detail.
- Professional demeanor.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and Raiser’s Edge.
- Ability to participate in evening/weekend events and to travel, as required.
- Interest in the visual arts preferred.
The Guggenheim offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental, life, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, discounts to museum stores, and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, retirement, flexible spending account, etc.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply via our website at guggenheim.org/careers. Click on "Associate Director, Institutional Development" and complete the application.