Details: Commensurate with experience
3600 Clipper Mill Road, Suite 107
SquashWise seeks a motivated athlete or coach with an interest in youth development to be the Youth Squash & Fitness Coordinator at Baltimore’s squash and education program, SquashWise. This is an exciting opportunity for those interested in sports-based youth development, and is an ideal position for an experienced physical education teacher, trainer, or coach interested in making a difference outside of a school setting. Experience in squash is a plus, but we will also consider athletic candidates with any racquet sport experience, or the ability to pick up squash with training.
About SquashWise: SquashWise is a long-term support system creating opportunities for aspiring youth in Baltimore. We help students realize their academic, athletic, and personal potential by combining intensive academic tutoring and mentoring with coaching in the sport of squash. We are based on the very successful model of squash & education programs located in 19 cities across the country. www.baltimoresquashwise.org
Position Description: The Youth Squash & Fitness Coordinator will coach fitness and squash sessions for the youth that we serve from Baltimore City schools, all beginners in the game of squash. The Coach will run daily after-school and summer sessions including squash coaching, fitness activities, tournament planning, and evaluation of athletic progress. The successful candidate will bring a desire to enrich and motivate Baltimore City Public School youth, using athletics as a tool for inspiration and engagement.
- Plan a fun and active curriculum for squash and athletic development, including not only squash and fitness sessions, but also teambuilding exercises and lessons on sportsmanship and athleticism.
- Recruit, train, and manage coaching volunteers, ensuring volunteers at every session.
- Assist with the scheduling of squash matches and entries into squash tournaments.
- Document progress on each student: collect data on attendance, squash skills, fitness, etc.
- Coordinate and chaperone student transportation to and from school for program sessions, including Activity Bus and minivan driving (training provided; standard driver’s license and three years of clean driving history required).
- Build meaningful and lasting relationships with students, teachers and parents; communicate effectively and regularly with students, parents, and teachers.
- Manage squash equipment: maintenance, cleaning, shoes, new orders.
- Assist with administrative duties as needed.
Desired Qualifications: The most important characteristic is to be mission-driven with a desire to work with youth from challenging neighborhoods. We also seek candidates with excellent interpersonal, communication, and time management skills which are necessary to juggle multiple responsibilities and maintain strong relationships with students, parents, volunteers, and teachers. Strong candidates will bring experience coaching youth and the ability to create strong rapport with adolescents and their families. Strong candidates will also have significant coaching and/or athletic experience, particularly racquet sport experience. If not already a squash player, candidates should be willing to further develop coaching skills in the sport of squash, with training from SquashWise.
- Availability to work full-time during the week and some Saturdays. Hours: weekdays from 10am-7pm; some Saturdays from 12-3pm and occasional weekend trips.
- Availability to chaperone occasional weekend trips for college visits, squash tournaments, and other student experiences.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- High School Degree required; B.A. or higher preferred.
- Current driver’s license with at least 3 years of driving experience; clean driving record.
- Pass a criminal history background check.
Equal Opportunity Employer: SquashWise is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This is a full-time, salaried position with generous vacation and benefits including health/dental insurance and 403b matching program. Salary commensurate with experience.
Minimum Education Required