263 W. 86th St
JOB TITLE: Director of Social Services
DEPARTMENT: Social Services
STATUS: Full Time - Exempt
REPORTS TO: Senior Director of Programs
West Side Campaign Against Hunger (WSCAH)—established in 1979 and now one of the largest and most successful food pantries in New York City—provides emergency food assistance and support services, including access to benefits like Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), to low-income New York families. Through a supermarket-style food pantry, our mission is to alleviate hunger and to create a culture that promotes self-reliance and works for change.
We seek a full-time, bilingual (English/Spanish) Director of WSCAH’s Social Service department. This position oversees a team of four social service counselors and one receptionist who connect customers to a variety of programs and resources, including Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Benefits (SNAP), health insurance, workforce development opportunities, etc… The Director of Social Services will lead WSCAH’s efforts to expand and enhance social services across the organization, increase our customer-base, and will use data to drive decisions for how best to utilize staff to maximize customer impact. This position will also play a key role in developing internal and external collaborations to drive innovation and organizational growth.
- Oversee operations of Social Service department
- Provide individual supervision to social service counselors and receptionist through case reviews and team meetings
- Monitor performance and progress towards meeting individual and departmental performance outcomes
- Conduct professional development trainings for social service staff and for entire WSCAH team. Research and schedule training from offsite providers as needed
- Fosters an environment in which teamwork and cross program collaboration is practiced and valued
- Oversee and coordinate external organizations providing social service resources and clothing closet in social hall
- Conduct intake assessments with customers and assist with challenging cases
- Oversee customer conflict resolution
- Develop and implement customer satisfaction surveys and use data to improve program operations
- Identify solutions to decrease customer wait time and to increase the quality of service provision
- Lead customer communication (text messaging, emails, announcements in social hall etc..) efforts to maximize gained services and to ensure customers are aware of social service offerings
PARTNERSHIP, PROGRAM AND RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT:
- Expand existing and initiate new partnerships with community-based organizations and government agencies to provide a greater depth and breadth of services and resources and to expand WSCAH’s customer base
- Collaborate internally and externally to identify areas for greater social service integration and to help support the success of WSCAH’s programs
MEASUREMENT AND EVALUATION:
- Oversees all aspects of WSCAH’s customer database (Salesforce), including data accuracy, data management and developing and retrieving reports.
- Oversee all monitoring and evaluation efforts to assess the organization’s performance and overall effectiveness, including tool development, data collection, data entry, and reporting.
- Report monthly, quarterly and yearly data, as requested by Senior leadership, Board of Directors and external funders. Identify trends and progress towards strategic goals.
- Ensure accurate and timely submission of funder reports to senior leadership team
- Bilingual English/Spanish required
- Masters of Social Work or equivalent strongly preferred
- Training in social work and/or counseling required with a minimum of 2 years supervisory experience
- Strong background in database management and proficiency using Salesforce is a plus. Proven ability to use data to drive decision making
- Experience with and commitment to working with low-income families and individuals
- Passionate about creating change with the ability to think creatively to find innovative solutions to maximize organizational impact
- Team player who has the ability to build strong relationships and work well with a range of individuals, both within and outside of WSCAH
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Excellent time management, organizational and computer software skills
- Strong commitment to WSCAH’s mission
People of color, women, LGBT people, people with disabilities, and people from low-income backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the position and it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Alyson Abrami, Senior Director of Programs: email@example.com
Comprehensive benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit cover letter, resume and three references to the attention of:
Senior Director of Programs