2311 Westwood Avenue
Side by Side’s Mission: Side by Side is dedicated to creating supportive communities where Virginia’s LGBTQ+ youth can define themselves, belong, and flourish.
Position’s Role and Responsibilities:
- Co-design, implement, lead and help evaluate the LGBTQ+ Housing Stability Host Home Program, including but not limited to:
- Introduce youth in need to the program, work with youth to plan goals and long-term needs, and coordinate Host Home matching process with youth and host family.
- Conduct recruitment, screening and ongoing support for host families.
- Develop and conduct training for host families.
- Develop communication practices between partner organizations to assure needs and concerns of youth and hosts are being addressed.
- Work with LGBTQ+ peer navigators, in conjunction with the Nationz Foundation, and other members of the Housing Stability care team, to provide resources and support for youth in need of permanent housing.
- Engage with youth leaders in the development and evaluation of Host Home program.
- Cultivate a culture of learning for the Host Home program, including attending educational, ongoing trainings related to Host Home topics, supporting LGBTQ+ youth, positive youth development, trauma-informed care, etc.
- Coordinate, with the Side by Side programming team, care for Side by Side youth (ages 11-25) with complex needs.
- Manage in-house resources, including chest binder exchange program, youth needs closet, transportation needs, and other resources as identified.
- Develop and maintain referral database of LGBTQ+ affirming resources for youth.
- Coordinate external requests regarding youth needs, and follow-up, where appropriate, with youth who have lost engagement with Side by Side to assess potential barriers.
- Be an active, engaged member of the Side by Side Programming Team, and fulfill other program duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Job Qualifications and Experience:
- Knowledge of LGBTQ+ youth issues; high sense of responsibility and commitment to the mission of Side by Side and working directly with LGBTQ+ young people.
- Skilled in working with youth in a trauma-informed manner to navigate housing instability, resources and mental health, likely commensurate with a bachelor’s degree in social work, counseling, community organizing, or other relevant work (master’s preferred), OR equivalent in relevant lived experience. Those with lived experience are encouraged to apply.
- At least 2 years of direct youth services experience, including demonstrated experience and understanding of youth suicidality, youth in crisis, youth experiencing housing instability and navigating the complexities of LGBTQ identities.
- Demonstrated experience in racial equity, working with LGBTQ+ youth of color, and commitment to integrating youth voice and best practices into all components of the Host Home Program.
- Demonstrated experience with resource navigation, cultivating community partners and resources, and assisting youth in planning and progressing towards their long-term goals.
- Ability to work collaboratively, take initiative, work under pressure, and complete multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, transparency, creativity, and a strong commitment and passion to ensure all youth have permanent, stable, safe housing that affirms them in all of their identities and allows them to thrive, including ensuring that any youth who is unstably housed will have the resources to ensure a rapid, affirming, youth-directed response that moves them to stability
- People of color and/or those who identify within the trans community are strongly encourage to apply.
Compensation and Schedule
This is a full-time position, with $42,000 annual salary, health and dental benefits, and 4 weeks vacation. Due to the nature of programming, events, and youth work, some evening hours will be regularly required, as well as some weekend events.
Please submit a letter of interest and resume to Emma.Yackso@sidebysideva.org with the subject line: Application: Youth Resource Advocate.
All applications must be received by Sunday, November 4th, 2018.
No phone calls or visits please.
The application process will also include:
· Letter of interest, resume, and 3 references
· Personal interviews with Side by Side staff, board, youth and stakeholders
· Driving record check
· Criminal history check; state, child abuse and neglect registry, sexual offender registry
Side by Side is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and/or those who identify within the trans community, as well as those with lived experience in housing instability, are strongly encouraged to apply.
Full health and dental benefits are provided to the employee.
Minimum Education Required