255 Main Street
Reports to: Deputy Director
The Housing Locator will work to identify, recruit and maintain relationships with landlords, property management companies and realtors in the Greater Hartford region who will lease to displaced/homeless households including those eligible for subsidized housing programs. S/he will serve as a liaison between the Greater Hartford Coordinated Access Network (GH CAN) Rapid Rehousing providers and shelter case managers utilizing HOME TBRA funds to house their clients and landlords who have available units. They will be responsible for overseeing and maintaining an online, centralized list of landlord information as well as available units. The Housing Locator will be responsible for ensuring compliance of the identified units with subsidy requirements, including the conducting of Housing Quality Standard inspections. The Housing Locator will provide ongoing education and mediation to landlords regarding the challenges and benefits of providing opportunities to this population of tenants.
Landlord Engagement/ Housing Search:
- Cultivate relationships with landlords, property managers and realty companies in the region by meeting with them one on one and educating them about the population we serve and the benefits to leasing to this population. Develop a marketing plan to include promotional materials, leave-behinds and other written materials for landlords
- Create and update appropriate forms for use in the housing process including, but not limited to, “know your lease” forms, rent sharing agreements, move-in checklist, etc.
- Continuous recruitment of new landlords to the Landlord Listing
- Develop a listing of available units of varying sizes, structures, and locations for GH CAN Rapid Rehousing and HOME Tenant Based Rental Assistance clients.
- Engage in constant communication with CAN providers to identify housing search needs and barriers.
- Ensure all units meet Housing Quality Standards prior to client’s signing a lease. Provide technical assistance to Landlord assisting them to meet these standards as requested.
- Ensure the collection of all required paperwork required for lease signing including Lead Disclosure, Leases, W-9s, Proof of Ownership, etc.
- Work to improve the current Greater Hartford Landlord Risk Reduction Fund program to expand its utility for assisting those who are homeless with accessing stable housing and secure additional funding for the landlord risk reduction fund to ensure its future viability.
- Identify funding, rehabilitation, or subsidy opportunities for landlords that would assist them with taking on tenants with barriers to housing.
- Develop creative methods to build partnerships with landlords and ways to recognize their contribution to the efforts to end homelessness.
Information Sharing and Data Collection
- Identify a means to create an online database, the “Landlord Listing” that will allow landlords to list their available units and for providers to match their participants with available units.
- Enter and maintain the cleanup of data into the Landlord Listing
- Train housing and shelter providers to access the landlord listing
- Develop a process, automated or otherwise, for landlords to report open units for the Landlord Listing and for the matching of clients to these available units.
- Provide ongoing technical assistance to providers related to data systems and program paperwork, including the CT HMIS system.
- Provide ongoing quality control over the submission of paperwork and data entry for clients utilizing HOME Tenant Based Rental Assistance.
- Develop educational materials and provide ongoing cross-training for landlords, tenants and housing / shelter program staff.
- Be available to provide mediation or assistance to landlords should they have a challenging situation with a particular tenant.
- Serve as the facilitator between landlords and GH CAN providers in an effort to help clients obtain and maintain permanent housing.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Two years of experience as a landlord, realtor, leasing agent or property manager preferred
- Knowledge of Housing Quality Standards, and federal and state funding housing programs preferred
- Understanding and commitment to Housing First principles and strengths-based services preferred
- Familiarity with those experiencing homelessness or living with behavioral health issues preferred
- Customer-consumer focused
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and data entry
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail required
- Strong leadership and facilitation skills
- Demonstrable marketing skills
- Excellent communication skills, including written correspondence and phone personality
- Willingness to work flexible evening and weekend hours as requested
- Ability to work independently, adjusting to changing priorities
- Ability to work with groups and balance multiple points of view
Note: The above duties and responsibilities are not all inclusive and may be modified to include other job related duties at the discretion of the supervisor.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities and is a non-exempt position.
Journey Home provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a cover letter, résumé with salary requirements, and the names and contact information for three references by October 19th.
Journey Home, Inc
255 Main St. 2nd Floor
Hartford, CT 06106
By email: Tamika.firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Housing Locator