District of Columbia
YouthBuild Public Charter School (YouthBuild PCS) is an alternative high school for young people seeking to transform their lives by re-engaging in their education in a non-traditional school environment. YouthBuild PCS prepares students for post secondary education and the workplace by offering, in English and Spanish, academic, vocational and workforce development programs. YouthBuild PCS believes that service to the community is an essential part of the transformative process. Therefore, students serve their community through volunteer projects and by creating housing for low-income residents in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
A construction instructor/trainer at YouthBuild PCS is responsible for creating a supportive, empowering learning environment. A construction instructor/trainer's specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
YouthBuild seeks a Bilingual Construction Trainer/Instructor to work with the Construction Team (Construction Manager and project General Contractor). The Construction Instructor/Trainer will oversee daily operations on the construction site for one of our partner schools. This is a full-time position, 8:00am - 4:00pm, with occasional weekend and evening service hours. The Construction Trainer/Instructor reports to the Construction Manager.
- Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:Manage and supervise a group of students on a construction work site; ensuring proper OSHA regulations are being consistently followed and enforced.
- Teach the proper use and handling of all hand tools, power tools, and equipment
- Provide on-site instruction of construction skills training and assessment for the students in the areas of demolition, rough framing, drywall, carpentry, green building, electrical, plumbing, painting, and masonry as per the NCCER and HBI-PACT Curricula
- Assist in personal and vocational counseling and development of students’ leadership skills in conjunction with other school staff
- Differentiate instruction to accommodate students’ multiple learning styles and abilities, including students who require special education supports and services and English language learners
- Inform supervisor about material needs for job site; Inventory and maintain all tools and equipment used on the job on a daily basis
- Involve students in enticing and rigorous learning activities that will keep students engaged. Work with Construction and Teaching Teams cover required HBI-PACT and NCCER certification curriculums and align to the broader construction and GED preparatory curricula.
- Assess and facilitate students’ academic, vocational, and developmental growth through observation and Skills Achievement Reviews. Track and monitor assessment results to ensure student learning, progress, and achievement. Meet student mastery targets.
- Create a positive learning environment that promotes high expectations and provides opportunities for all students to experience success
- Maintain positive, professional relationships with students and colleagues
- Communicate effectively with students and school staff to ensure that students are on-track in their learning and making progress towards goals
- Commit to ongoing professional development in techniques for teaching disconnected and opportunity youth. Participate in professional learning circles and/or peer coaching sessions. Accept and incorporate feedback and coaching from staff.
- Attend all scheduled staff meetings and take an active role
- Maintain appropriate training certifications
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of three (3) years work experience in construction or related field
- Must be flexible, energetic, and resourceful
- Construction Trainers must also be committed to mentoring and educating “opportunity youth”, and believe that all students can achieve success
- Bilingual Spanish/English fluency strongly preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
YouthBuild PCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not allow discrimination with respect to employment or any of the terms or conditions of employment because of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual identity, marital status or religion.