Do you believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid? Would you like to work where you are encouraged to promote fun, creativity and play? If you are motivated and you possess leadership experience- both on and off the playground – we want you to join our team and put your passion for play to work for us.
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to transform children’s physical and emotional health. Playworks currently serves more than 2,000 schools in 23 U.S. cities, and reaches 1 million students directly and through professional training services.
At Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. We partner with schools, districts, and after-school programs to provide a service or mix of services including on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support recess, and consultative partnerships.
Here’s Where You Come In:
As the Development Manager: Events, Marketing, & Communications, you will work closely with the the Executive Directors, Program Directors and other development staff in the Playworks NorCal region to chart the growth and strategic response to an ever-increasing demand for the organization’s programs and services in the Bay Area and Northern California. In this role, you are directly responsible for managing the Northern California Region’s Fundraising Events and our Marketing & Communications efforts.You will also support overall development operations for our San Francisco office. You will contribute to our annual, regional fund development and budgetary goals - both directly and through your support functions - in order to meet the Playworks NorCal Region’s development target of nearly $2 million. You will be a collaborative and innovative leader for the Bay Area regional offices, with an understanding of strength-based organizational culture, passion about Playworks’ mission and a commitment to education and youth development.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a proactive, flexible and strategic leader with proven planning, implementation and superior writing skills to join a fun, dynamic, high-functioning organization at a critical and exciting stage in its development.
This position will report directly to the San Francisco Executive Director and will work in close collaboration with the East Bay Executive Director and Silicon Valley Regional Director to meet strategic goals and objectives.
Specifically, you will manage Northern California Events, Marketing, & Communications in the following ways:
- Lead the planning and implementation of regional fundraising events including all project planning while driving towards stated outcomes.
- Work with the local Executive Directors, Regional Boards, and Regional Director of Individual Giving to secure corporate sponsorships and individual gifts.
- Manage activity across the Northern California region in support of our annual Get in the Game Gala.
- Maintain event timelines, guest lists, registration materials, waivers, releases, evaluations, testimonials, etc.
- Drive the region’s content strategy by advancing the understanding of and appreciation for Playworks brand, value-proposition, and impact from our core services - with key audiences - by originating and driving great copy, messaging and storytelling.
- Create, write, and edit marketing content for development (content related to board engagement, fundraising events, appeals, and newsletters).
- Coordinate materials for individual donor solicitations including spring and end of year appeals, house parties, major donor campaigns, and other live events and digital campaigns.
- Assist with designing a corporate sponsorship strategy customized for regional prospects, support that strategy and share best practices with the organization.
- Create regionalized email and social media content with support from the national office to create an authentic local narrative.
- Create messaging documents for Playworks Northern California and talking points for specific networking and media opportunities.
- Develop and manage Playworks Northern California’s social strategy. Implement tactics to increase the number of followers; deepen engagement across Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest platforms; manage and drive increased inbound traffic to our regional website; create and/or localize newsletters.
- Create event promotion materials and narrative to drive engagement and attendance.
- Working with program teams, collect local success stories, organize/archive them, and publish on the relevant platform as appropriate.
- Write and edit news releases, op-eds, and advisories; pitch press outlets to generate stories and profiles resulting in successful media impressions through TV, print, radio, digital and social; respond to all inbound media requests.
- Create monthly fundraising reports and other database reports as needed.
- Continually update and correct database records.
- Support all follow-up tasks including cultivation of event participants through lead generation, Salesforce entries, emailing, calling, and developing photo albums.
- Process donations and prepare acknowledgment letters and other correspondence.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent combination of experience and education) required.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of relevant professional experience in communications, fundraising, event planning, and / or content marketing.
- Strong knowledge of effective fundraising strategies including individual donor cultivation, corporate employee volunteer programs and event production.
- Demonstrated success in using writing and social media / videos to engage key audiences, especially in varied voices. Writing samples will be required.
- Experience managing press requests, writing press releases, and pitching stories.
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, team-oriented, and mission driven environment that places a strong value on collaboration.
- Passion and enthusiasm for language, writing, persuasion, and connecting meaningfully with varied constituencies.
- Demonstrated success in building strong relationships among teams; working collaboratively and thoughtfully.
- Ability to write and work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment while keeping a keen eye on detail and accuracy.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office. Knowledge of Google Apps and Salesforce a strong plus!
- Self-motivation and the ability to set strategic priorities and manage multiple simultaneous tasks under minimal supervision in an organized, effective and efficient manner while meeting aggressive deadlines and maintaining positive relationships over time.
- The strongest candidate will have the demonstrated ability to maintain poise and demeanor appropriate to portray an image of professionalism as defined by Playworks and possess a documented history of successful fundraising, communications, and event-related nonprofit experience.
- Regular travel throughout the Northern California region is required. Travel will be widely dispersed across the region, therefore daily access to reliable transportation is required.
- If a Playworks employee is required to drive a vehicle for work related purposes (not commuting purposes) the employee must complete an authorization form and provide us with evidence of valid, current driver's license and proof of liability/collision/property damage insurance with minimum coverage of $50,000 each accident/ $100,000 each occurrence.
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- Competitive nonprofit salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt position.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, 401(k) with company match, employee funded pre-tax health and child care spending accounts.
- Generous paid time off with paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
If you’re interested in joining the Playworks team, submit the following application materials online:
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role. Please also include your salary expectations.
- Three writing samples. Examples include press releases, short and long-form stories.
- Applications will not be considered without cover letters and writing samples.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities. Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.
Minimum Education Required