The Institute for Social Policy and Understanding (ISPU) is seeking a skilled Research Project Manager (RPM). The RPM is a critical member of the ISPU research team, responsible for ensuring the smooth functioning of ISPU’s research projects (including both research and dissemination) from conception to implementation to evaluation. The Research Project Manager also supervises contracted project staff and advisors, engages partners and stakeholders and represents ISPU and its research as needed. ISPU is seeking a dynamic, exceptionally organized project manager with a passion for ISPU's mission to complement our exception team. Located in DC or MI preferred, but we will consider candidates from across the United States. This is a TEMPORARY ONE YEAR, full time, funding dependent position, with an annual salary range of $50-$60K.
Research Project Management 90%
- Monitor and shepherd research projects through the ISPU pipeline from inception to completion. This includes working with scholars, research team, collaborating organizations, contractors, vendors, copy editors, and graphic designers;
- Work with Research Director and Outreach Manager to create research project plans including log frames, monitoring and evaluation processes, final outputs, dissemination plans, and budgets.
- Work with Research Director, Outreach Manager, and Communications Director to develop , and sometimes implement, a dissemination strategy for each research product;
- Facilitate regular project team meetings, including developing the agenda for the meeting, taking minutes and following up on action items, assigning tasks and tracking deadlines;
- Assist in project team recruitment, including creating and posting job descriptions, reviewing and interviewing job applicants, and co-creating contracts with Finance Director;
- Create detailed timelines and WBS (work breakdown structure), to track milestones, tasks, and deliverables;
- Maintain continuous communication with all members of project teams;
- Create and maintain file organization system per project
- Create and maintain processes, forms, and other project related material such as consent forms, respondent contact letters, etc.;
- Procure resources and tools needed for data collection and analysis;
- Under supervision of Research Director, analyze data and develop written reports of analysis and results.
- Work with finance team to develop and track research budgets; Ensure compliance with ISPU and donor/fellow contractual requirements; and ensure timely payments to contractors;
- Assist Executive Director in compiling information for writing grant reports to funders, and updating funders as needed;
- Facilitate the data collection process: recruiting for, handling logistics of, and running focus groups; scheduling phone interviews;
- Work with Development and Research team to create project presentations and project updates for community events and donor updates;
Representation and Engagement 10%
- Represent ISPU and its research with community and policy partners as needed.
- Present ISPU research at conferences, community centers and other venues as needed.
- Engage relevant stakeholders as needed.
Ideal Candidate Summary
Candidates must have a BA in a relevant field and preferably 5+ years related experience. The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated, self-starter who takes initiative and is creative about achieving their goals. Excellent attention to detail is a must as is the ability to think strategically. Exceptional interpersonal skills are needed as are all types of communication skills. Deep familiarity and experience with the American Muslim community and context is preferred. Experience in research and project management, are highly preferred.
Bachelor’s degree in any of the following or a comparable area of study: public policy, social sciences, non-profit management, business administration.
Master’s degree OR equivalent work experience preferred.
Essential Knowledge and Experience
- Ability to manage multiple work streams
- Ability and desire to self-direct work flow according to agreed upon priorities without daily direction
- Ability to engage and manage virtual project teams, high level experts, researchers, community leaders and policy makers
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written; ability to distill key messages; Excellent presentation skills.
- Extremely detail and process oriented with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to identify needs in work streams and address them without direct requests
- Ability to take initiative and follow through consistently
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends as needed
- Strong project management, organizational, administrative, and financial budget and management skills.
Desirable Knowledge and Experience
- Experience working in a start-up environment
- Strong understanding of and interest in the American Muslim community
- Understanding and network within the American Muslim community, ally and policy community
- Familiarity with issues related to Muslims in the US, including major institutional partners, grassroots organizations, policy issues, etc.
- Research skill set and understanding, including research design and methodology, especially for the purposes of applied outcomes