Montefiore School Health Program
Community Health Division
Job Description: Patient Educator
As the academic medical center and University Hospital for Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center is nationally recognized for clinical excellence. Montefiore combines its deep commitment to the community with nationally-renowned expertise to reach people in locations easiest for them.
The Montefiore School Health Program (MSHP) provides comprehensive medical and mental health services at 25 school-based health centers in the Bronx with a growing number of sites providing dental and community health services. The Community Health Division (CHD) uses a public health approach to eliminate health disparities facing children living in the Bronx. The CHD is responsible for directing the effective delivery of classroom-, school- and community-based health promotion and preventive initiatives in cooperation with the school, community members and partners, and government agencies. The MSHP Community Health Division seeks to hire a Patient Educator facilitate work within the Bronx schools.
Through a comprehensive strategy, the Patient Educator provides leadership and support in developing health-promoting school environments to improve the well-being of all students and their communities. The Patient Educator is responsible for coordinating the effective delivery of classroom school and community –based health promotion and preventive initiatives in cooperation with the school, community partners, government agencies and community members.
On a classroom, school and community level, the Patient Educator coordinates the implementation of MSHP developed and/or collaborative health promotion initiatives, conducts health education workshops, facilitates youth development groups, organizes outreach programs, conducts needs assessments and supports healthy policy development and implementation to improve students health and well-being.
Required Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Community Health Education, Health Administration, or related field with a strong focus on Public Health.
- Three – plus - years conducting health-specific programs and/or policy initiatives that involves children, adolescents, parents and one or more of the following constituents: school administrators, teachers
- Proficiency in basic Public Health issues, methods and principles. Knowledge in developing and implementing strategies to reduce public health problems.
- Leadership experience in planning, implementing and evaluating programs in the area of health and wellness
- Subject matter expertise in at least two of MSHP’s priority service areas, (Reproductive and Sexual Health, Asthma Management, Fitness and Nutrition and/or Health Maintenance).
- Skilled, engaging and confident communicator. Understands the concerns and priorities of diverse audiences.
- Effective team building skills. Able to demonstrate leadership on projects by working independently. Able to work within a team environment and work collaboratively to accomplish common goals and objectives.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point
- Excellent written and verbal communication including the ability to successfully interface with a variety of stakeholders
- Strong facilitation skills and experiences in presenting training materials to small and large groups
- Ability to work some evenings hours and weekends for community health related events and programming
- Able to travel throughout Bronx, NY and work within NYC DOE public schools
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified individuals, please send resumes and cover letters to :Roseline Atte email@example.com with “Patient Educator” and your name in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters and applicants who do not meet the requirements will not be accepted.
No phone calls, please.
MMC is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or national origin.