Do you love telling stories that mobilize people and resources for the greater good? Are you amazingly talented at organizing and keeping track of moving pieces? Do you want to be challenged, leverage a ton of skills, be on the cutting edge of economic justice work, have a good laugh, brainstorm a lot, get frustrated sometimes but inspired frequently, and be on the right side of history?
MAF is looking for a Grant Writer to join our small but mighty Philanthropy Team. The Grant Writer will jump in on day one to help us craft grant proposals, reports, and other communications for our philanthropic partners.
Our story: Mission Asset Fund (MAF) is a groundbreaking non-profit on a mission to create a fair financial marketplace for hardworking families. We’re a recognized nationwide leader in developing innovative and successful asset-building strategies. A hybrid between a tech start-up and a nonprofit, MAF is a great place to work for both nonprofit or for-profit professionals who are interested in tech for social good.
MAF is looking for an eloquent Grant Writer to help us communicate and report to philanthropic partners. This is a great opportunity for someone whose strongest tools are their written words, and is passionate about using this skill to mobilize resources that help low-income and immigrant communities build financial security.
An awesome place to work: We’re right in the Mission District in San Francisco. It’s awesome here, with diverse restaurants, bars, and shops. We’ve got great team outings (fighting zombies, putt putt and bowling to name a few). And the team is ridiculously dedicated to the mission and fun to work with. As a nonprofit and tech startup, we attract people who like to jump in with both feet and who aren’t afraid of learning how to do better. With an open office environment, collaboration and teamwork are more than just values - they’re a way of life. Hailing from many different cultural and professional backgrounds, we are drawn together by a passion for embracing technology and creativity to make the world a better place for hardworking families.
Reports to: Philanthropy Director
Location: San Francisco, CA (currently remote)
The Grant Writer is a core member of MAF’s philanthropy team who uses eloquent prose, storytelling, and a compelling vision to mobilize philanthropic partners to invest in putting the best of technology and finance in the service of low-income and immigrant communities. This person is primarily responsible for preparing, writing and managing grant proposals and reports, but also eager to jump in on fundraising campaigns, funder presentations and webinars, and email communications. The Grant Writer will join a small but mighty Philanthropy team that works closely with MAF’s CEO to uplift the financial realities of low-income and immigrant communities.
Grant writing & management (75%)
- Outline, draft, and edit grant proposals and reports about MAF’s financial programs and services for private, community, and corporate foundations and government agencies.
- Help manage the organization’s growing grant portfolio, collaborating with team members to ensure on-time submission of all grant materials.
- Provide excellent editing and proofreading for all grant materials.
- Work closely with the CEO and Philanthropy Team to develop and translate MAF’s vision into concrete proposals.
- Manage cross-team collaboration to gather insights and report to funders on progress toward grant objectives.
- Help manage and strengthen relationships with philanthropic partners, following up on information requests, moving funding conversations forward, and supporting periodic one-on-one check ins.
- Keep grant acknowledgement letters updated and ensure all funder contributions receive timely acknowledgement.
- Help create fundraising campaigns (end of year and issue-focused campaigns) that rally individual donors and foundation partners to support MAF’s work.
- Draft emails, social media, and webpage content for a philanthropic audience.
- Work with the team to design and implement a communications strategy that engages funders in areas of MAF’s work that are important to them, and creates space for funders to deepen their collaboration with MAF.
- Help author and design MAF’s annual report—a digital-based reflection on the work MAF accomplished and how this work is guiding our next steps.
Project & systems management (5%)
- Help keep the grant calendar up to date with all ongoing philanthropy projects, using the calendar to manage and assign tasks and ensure the team meets all deadlines.
- Develop Salesforce reports and dashboards that help the team keep a pulse on the grant portfolio and report updates to internal stakeholders.
You’ll thrive in this role if:
- You’re a skilled storyteller who always puts people at center, with dignity and respect
- You’re passionate and can speak eloquently about equity, financial security, asset building, immigrant rights, and/or fintech
- You listen carefully, ask questions, and are able to build out reports and proposals from nascent ideas
- You have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and are someone who loves working both in a team and independently
- You’re detail-oriented, extremely organized, and thrive managing multiple projects
- You bring an unflinchingly positive, can-do attitude to everything you do and energized by new ideas and challenges
- You’re eager to jump in exploring, building, and refining data reports and tools
- You’re proficient in Salesforce or other CRM platforms and Microsoft Office products
- You have a bachelor’s degree and a minimum of at least 3-5 years of experience writing compelling narratives in either a philanthropy setting or through other creative story writing
- Proficiency in Spanish is a plus
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- This is a full-time position with a salary of $75,000 to $80,000.
- We believe in work-life balance, and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with this value.
- We provide 20 days of Paid Time Off (160 hours)/year accrued for the first two years of full-time employment, 13 paid holidays.
- We provide generous medical (HMO and PPO options), dental, vision, disability, life, flexible spending account, and AD&D insurance.
- We care about your financial future. We provide a matching 401K plan that is immediately vested. We will match up to 6% of your compensation/year.
- Commuter benefits & flexible savings accounts: pre-tax benefit accounts used to pay for expenses like healthcare or commuter expenses like parking, vanpool, public transit—including train, subway, bus, and ferry.
Our hiring process and timeline:
- We will read your cover letter first; it’s important for us to understand whether this is the right fit for you. In your cover letter, please be sure to tell us why you are interested in this job, what is most important to you about MAF’s work, and share examples of past work you’ve done that makes you a strong candidate.
- We’ll also take a close look at your writing sample. Please provide the best example you can share that showcases your power with words - to engage, excite, and mobilize people for causes you’re passionate about.
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- If you are invited for an in-person interview, we will ask for a skills assessment relevant to this position.
- We would like to have the selected candidate start as soon as possible.
Equal Opportunity Employment: Mission Asset Fund is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Mission Asset Fund does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Deadline: Applications are processed on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until filled.
- No phone calls.
- Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers.