Full Time Temporary Contract
425 East 100 South
Salt Lake City
The Summer Field Technician is an independent contractor position that will involve traveling throughout the state of Utah performing inventories of wilderness-quality lands and impacts to wilderness values, with an emphasis on inventorying motorized routes in and around proposed wilderness units. The inventories will involve photographing and documenting a variety of resources and adverse impacts using cameras, tablets, maps, and GPS devices. The position involves long days, extensive periods of time in remote regions, rigorous physical activity, and substantial amounts of backcountry driving, often on rugged four-wheel-drive roads. The position reports directly to SUWA’s Field Director, with additional supervision by SUWA’s Wildlands Program Director.
- Conduct inventories of wilderness-quality lands and impacts to wilderness values, with a
- focus on inventorying motorized routes in and around proposed wilderness units.
- Summarize inventory data into project-specific reports.
- Provide timely inventory data and reports to SUWA’s Field Director.
- Comfortable working in the field in remote and rugged country, most often alone.
- Ability to hike, sometimes for long distances, for multiple days.
- Route-finding skills in backcountry areas.
- Experience driving on rugged, four-wheel drive roads in remote locations.
- Interest in spending up to 10 days at a time in remote locations, frequently without cell phone service.
- Initiative, attention to detail, and an ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to read topographical maps and use GPS devices.
- Creative thinking and problem solving.
- Willingness to learn.
- Demonstrated commitment to wilderness preservation.
- Commitment to working 8 to 12 weeks between the spring and fall of 2018.
- Scenic photography knowledge and skills (preferred).
- Ability to troubleshoot and fix minor vehicle mechanical issues (preferred).
- Preferably based out of Salt Lake City, Utah, with extensive travel throughout the state. May allow position to be based out of Moab, Utah.
- SUWA offers competitive pay, based on relevant experience.
SUWA is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. SUWA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should send a résumé and cover letter addressed to Neal Clark to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please direct any questions to this email address as well. We will review applications on a rolling basis.