7361 Calhoun Place
Job Purpose and Function: The Accounting Manager provides a unique leadership opportunity to take a thriving non-profit organization engaged in transformational work to a new level of impact and expansion. With over 40 years of proven success in creating dynamic partnerships focused and education on pretrial justice system reform, our innovative collaborative approach is setting the standard for an impactful shift in how our Country’s pretrial justice system functions. The Accounting Manager is responsible for ensuring PJI’s financial and administrative operations are accurately recorded and reflected in our accounting system thus enabling PJI through infrastructure and available assets, to achieve its strategic goals and mission.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
- Prepare underlying schedules, reports and project-level budgets to VP and SVP for the purpose of completing the annual operating budget for organization.
- Ensure the accuracy of all revenue and expenditures, and required data entry.
- Oversee and regularly review all accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll functions, ensuring final approval by the Vice President.
- Coordinate the preparation of financial statements, financial reports, special analyses, and information reports.
- Manage the administration of organization’s 403b contributions, ensuring they are accurate and timely.
- Ensure compliance, in coordination with QB Payroll, with local, state, and federal financial and taxation payment and reporting requirements.
- Maintain appropriate internal control safeguards, recommending enhancements as needed.
- Ensure records systems are maintained in accordance with US GAAP, and filed in the Google Drive accordingly.
- Manage annual audit, 990 & 1096 process in coordination with external auditors for timely completion.
- Analyze income and expenses, and make recommendations to the Vice President regarding projected or current financial impacts.
- Manage accounting/operations staff, ensuring accountabilities are being met to expectations.
- Participate in Boards meeting and the Board Finance Committee, as requested.
- Prepare and enter monthly journal entries.
- Prepare schedules, reports and reconciliations as necessary and as requested.
- Oversee audit preparation and fieldwork.
- Enter and update budget information into account system as needed.
Operations and Infrastructure
- Ensure compliance with all organizational administrative and financial policies and procedures; recommending updates as necessary.
- Manage the administration of all infrastructure contracts (leasehold, telephone, technology, etc), ensuring compliance and regular review for optimization of services and/or performance.
- Ensure all legal and/or business licensing regulations are met on a timely basis maintain organizational compliance licensing standards.
- Assess financial and operational infrastructure/technology supports to streamline efficiencies and make recommendations to the Vice President.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience as an Accountant, in a non-profit
- 5+ years of financial and managerial experience to include the day-to-day full financial operations.
Desired Specialized Knowledge and Skill
- Not-for-profit accounting in accordance with U.S. GAAP
- Familiarity of industry, public and partner organization resources
- General office software, particularly the Microsoft Office Suite, Google Apps, QuickBooks 2015 Enterprise Edition.
- Create and assess financial statements and budget documents.
- Supervise staff, including regular progress reviews and plans for improvement.
- Work well in a team and individually.
- Detailed oriented.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to perform several tasks concurrently with ease, effectively.
- Ability to communicate professionally, clearly and concisely both verbal, written and electronically.
- Able to work in a team environment and has the courage to communicate openly and honestly.
- Eager to learn, and willing to be coached to increase effectiveness, collaboration, and results.
- High functioning sense of humor, humility, and emotional intelligence
- Foster a culture of integrity, service, adaptability, innovation, and responsibility
- Honesty and trustworthiness
- Ability to listen openly and effectively, and to connect with a wide variety of people, personalities, and diverse points of view.
- Commitment to PJI’s mission and its success.
Special Working Conditions
- Telecommuting and working within a virtual environment.
- Be able to work on-site in Rockville, MD at least 3-4 days per week.
- Some travel is required (approximately 10%).
- Flexibility in working hours – occasional night and weekend hours may be required.
Minimum Education Required