Start Date: January 2019
Role Type: Full-time
Location: New York, NY
Please apply by November 4, 2018
Who We Are:
Transcend is a national nonprofit that leads innovation in school design in close partnership with visionary school operators around the country. We focus on innovation in every aspect of the holistic design of schools -- from the aims of school, to students’ experience, to the use of time, to the roles of educators and families and surrounding communities, to physical space, and much more -- to prepare all students for far greater success in the 21st century.
We do this through:
- developing and replicating new school model designs, in close partnership with visionary school operators (in district, charter, and independent schools)
- building a diverse, cross-disciplinary force of talent for the sector, who can perform the deep R&D needed for school innovation
- building and sharing actionable knowledge for the sector on how to do school model innovation and change management
In its current form, school will never reach our highest aspirations -- even with herculean efforts. It was never designed for anything close to this. But the system as we know it can be redesigned. Our school partners are ambitious and brave and are driving efforts to redesign this system so that all kids can thrive.
The Partner, School Design and Innovation will have an enormous opportunity to influence the development of innovative school models. This role leads teams to design, develop, and build new school models in partnership with school operators. Given that Transcend is still innovating within its model, the specific mix of responsibilities will likely evolve dynamically and in partnership with the Transcend team.
This is an ideal opportunity for passionate educators to scale their impact by designing breakthrough school models that prepare students to thrive in and transform the 21st century.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead partnerships with school operators to reimagine the design, development, piloting and refining of new models of learning and school that will help all children thrive in and transform the 21st Century
- Lead a design process to elicit pioneering ideas, and support the school operator in making model choices and trade-offs
- Lead daily collaboration of work between Transcend and the school operator, in what in practice will be an enmeshed working team between the two organizations
- Design with scale in mind and oversee codification and documentation of model so that it can be replicated elsewhere
- Support change management process of adopting pioneering practices in new school models
- Set the tone and tenor of the team to be one that is courageous, inclusive, high performing, and always puts students at the center when making decisions
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum ten years of professional work experience
- Significant experience working / leading in districts and charters or high performing education non-profits, preferably with direct experience with design, innovation, 21st century skills, change management and/or “next generation” school models
- Deep instructional experience, with the ability to draw on resources to make informed recommendations to school operators
- Experience leading others in a design process in the context of schools (e.g., curriculum, program, school design)
- Passion for creating innovative, breakthrough new school models that generate unprecedented results for students
- Strong and demonstrated commitment to diversity , equity, and inclusiveness
- Entrepreneurial hunger to build, learn, and lead in an ambiguous context
- Demonstrated ability to lead diverse teams to achieve outstanding results
- Collaborative and team orientation, especially in remote/virtual environments
- Ability to think strategically and execute efficiently in a lean environment
- Excellent facilitation and project management skills
- Familiarity with human centered design strategies
- Experience with client relationship management and/or business development
Transcend celebrates, supports, and thrives on difference and diversity for the benefit of our team members, our partnerships, and our community. Transcend is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and hires without consideration of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a resume!