Providence House, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization that helps transform the lives of homeless, abused, and formerly incarcerated women and their children one family at a time. Our services and programs provide shelter and support through our network of transitional residences, individual apartments and permanent supportive housing located in Brooklyn, Queens and New Rochelle, New York. Our mission is to break the cycle of homelessness and return to incarceration by assisting our residents to obtain education and training, learn job skills, gain employment, and, ultimately, find a permanent home for their families.
The Recreational Specialist under the direction of the Program Director will be responsible for the primary functions of the tenant recreational activities; implementing programs, and supporting special events. Responsible for seasonal events, transportation coordination, behavior management and scheduling activities.
- Design individual and group programs and activities as determined by assessments to maximize residents’ activity levels and quality of life.
- Plan and direct group activities aimed at developing appropriate group interaction behavior, a sense of team work and equality, interpersonal communication skills and cooperation and ensures that order and discipline are maintained during recreation activities.
- Promotes programs and activities: designs and prepares schedules, flyers and other promotional materials; distributes information; Keep log of activities and expenses.
- Participate in community outreach to obtain in-kind donations, service linkages, and other resources for participants in our program; attend community, school, church and business organization meetings.
- Complete required documentation: Quarterly/Annual/significant change reports, discharge notes, progress notes and attendance sheets in a timely manner.
- Prepare statistical reports on type, frequency, and participation for each activity.
- Informs tenants and staff of programs and arrange for transportation.
- Requisition and maintain equipment and supplies within budget.
- Comply with HIPPA and Infection Control procedures and all PH Policies.
- Maintain the Program in assigned areas.
- Maintain resident safety for in-house and community programs.
- Report and document notable behavioral changes or responses of residents as appropriate.
- Assist with monthly Tenant Meetings.
- Take responsibility and accountability for handling resident and departmental funds on recreation outings.
- Participates in training and continuing education programs which provide opportunities for personal and professional growth.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work as a Providence House team member with all staff and volunteers in order to implement the mission and core values of the agency.
- Attend regular internal and external agency meetings.
- Work as part of team to plan and develop tenant programs.
- Keep accurate, up-to-date documentation on all clients.
- Complete all paperwork in a timely and accurate manner
- Assists with any and all data collection systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Recreational Therapy or Physical Education Preferred.
- Two to three years of experience developing, planning, and organizing a comprehensive recreational program.
- Two years of experience working with the formerly homeless, mentally ill population.
- Experience with long-term homeless, low income and diverse populations.
- Knowledge of diverse types of social and recreational activities.
- Working knowledge of appropriateness of specific activities for both individuals and groups.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships at various levels.
- Ability to initiate and lead activities; ability to prepare written reports; initiative; courtesy.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work independently.
- Competent technology management skills, including proficiency with using Microsoft Office; and knowledge of client database management.
- The Recreational Specialist position is Full-Time. Hours worked will be weekdays at a mutually agreed-upon schedule. Evening and/or weekend work will be required for some recreational activities.
- The office location for this position in Brooklyn, New York.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Salary range is competitive. Benefits include paid holidays, vacation, personal and sick leave, medical, dental, vision, prescription coverage and life insurance, short-term and long-term disability benefits, a 403(B) voluntary tax deferred annuity plan, pension benefits, commuter benefits and an Employment Assistance Program (EAP).
Minimum Education Required