Details: Commensurate with experience
157 Columbus Avenue
Job Title: Communications Manager
Reports to: Chief of Staff
Location: New York
citiesRISE is a multi-stakeholder initiative challenging cities around the world to turn the tide on mental health and wellbeing. Through research and on-the-ground experience, citiesRISE is learning and sharing what makes cities and communities mental-health friendly, especially for young people within underserved populations. We are mobilizing collective action in cities around the world and building a global movement to spark and connect city and youth led action in places around the world.
The mission is to mobilize leadership, resources and practical action through proven methodologies of collective action and a network approach. citiesRISE was founded in 2016 and is now positioned to dramatically deepen its impact through the expansion of current initiatives and the launch of new global programming to bring meaningful and sustainable progress to communities across the world. citiesRISE has established substantive partnerships to catalyze collective actions across sectors to fundamentally transform the story of mental health around the world. The significance of citiesRISE was featured at the World Economic Forum’s 2018 Annual Meeting.
Learn more at cities-rise.org.
citiesRISE is seeking a Communications Manager to set and execute a communications strategy for the platform as citiesRISE refines and elevates its brand narrative and to support the development of a social movement for mental health. The Manager will lead the design of the communications work with partners in various cities, youth leaders and other stakeholders and manage other creative and communications consultants. S/he will lead the editorial, publication, digital, and social media processes for the platform and coordinate with communications experts and partner teams to support the collective action efforts.
Communications is a key pillar for citiesRISE as it mobilizes collective action across diverse sectors and motivates them into participating in this global collaboration. It is a core function of citiesRISE’s goal to change the narrative around mental health and catalyze leadership of cities and youth to drive real change on the ground. We are looking at emergence of transformative ideas capable of driving life-changing action when the diverse groups of people come together. The Communications Manager will have the opportunity to build the brand and tell the story of this dynamic, expanding, and inspiring initiative at a key inflection point in its development.
The Manager will be primarily responsible for planning citiesRISE’s communications initiatives, managing the work streams, and helping build the brand and telling the story of this unique initiative. The Manager will wear a variety of hats in the day-to-day work, including implementing projects in communications strategy, branding and positioning, writing and editing, thought leadership, media relations, social media, analytics, graphic design, web design, events, and marketing. There will be a support team (internal and external) to execute different tasks (such as PR, video making, and field reporting) and the Manager is expected to coordinate this work.
The Manager will have significant responsibility for the following:
· Develop social movement strategies with partners, develop key messaging and partnerships to build and sustain the movement
· Plan and implement citiesRISE communications for key milestones (e.g. convenings, city launches)
· Create communication standards and best practices for the team
· Manage citiesRISE knowledge assets and products (collaterals, newsletters, presentations, contact lists)
· Lead and manage citiesRISE social media channels and website
· Elevate the public profile of the platform and develop opportunities for thought leadership
· Coordinate with external consultants and partners who are helping build the citiesRISE brand and story
citiesRISE is looking for a candidate who understands the importance of communications to make citiesRISE a success, demonstrates a passion for breaking new ground to lead social change, and is committed to the vision and mission of citiesRISE. We are seeking a person who has proven experience in mobilizing partnerships and can showcase successful implementation. This is a unique opportunity for someone who can shape this newly formed role and contribute to the success of the overall initiative.
The Manager would need to have excellent writing ability, good judgment under pressure, be extremely organized and detail oriented and be able to multi-task in fast-paced work environment with tight deadlines.
Qualifications required include:
· 5+ years of professional experience
· Commitment to the mission of building healthy communities and a passion for the work of citiesRISE
· Experience in planning and organizing social campaigns, events and convenings in fields such as global mental health, urban development, collective action, systems change, youth engagement, youth leadership, health system strengthening, technology innovation, post-conflict settings, poverty and vulnerability
· Proven strategic thinker with experience coordinating multiple projects and deadlines
· Strong ability to drive progress, promote innovation, and display ownership under ambiguous and dynamic conditions
· Exceptional presentation, communication and organizational skills with the ability to effectively interface with outside media and communications professionals, teams, directors, and other members of the organizations
· Experience with PowerPoint, social media platforms, Mailchimp and other key communication tools
· Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
· Experience coordinating with teams for locally-led communications (including local advocacy planning)
Additional qualifications preferred include:
· Experience in managing website (WordPress)
· Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud, especially InDesign, Photoshop, Video production and/or infographic design skills
· Client-facing project management background
· Experience analyzing data from Google Analytics, developing key performance indicators, and understanding SEO best practices
· Understanding of basic branding and positioning principles
We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. Compensation and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
citiesRISE provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Individuals from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required