1 N State St
JMA is currently seeking an experienced Campaign Director to lead comprehensive community labor campaigns in the state of Illinois, aimed at pushing key decision makers to adopt good jobs and equity policies. Applicants must be based in Chicago and be able to start October or November 2018.
About Jobs to Move America
Jobs to Move America (JMA) is a national organization working to ensure that public infrastructure investments result in the creation of good U.S. jobs, investments in strong apprenticeship and training programs, career opportunities for people facing barriers to employment, and access for groups that have been historically marginalized in manufacturing.
- Lead campaigns to pass a Manufacturing Careers and Electric Bus policies at regional transit authorities that ensure good job creation and equitable access on key upcoming transportation infrastructure projects
- Coordinate the development of a jobs pipeline with the coalition, resulting in good jobs and fair access by low income communities of color, and those facing multiple and significant barriers to employment
- Cultivate relationships with elected officials, heads of public authorities and their staffs, as well as other key decision makers
- Ensure that companies winning taxpayer funded contracts are held accountable to the public through the negotiation of enforceable community benefits agreements and respecting workers’ rights to organize
- Coordinate Illinois campaign efforts with local stakeholders, JMA’s California, New York and national campaign leads, and other key national partners to ensure alignment around goals.
- Supervise a multi-disciplinary team that will include an Illinois coalition organizer, a research analyst and communicator
- A demonstrated commitment to economic justice
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience working in comprehensive community labor or worker organizing campaigns
- Ideally possess an understanding of Chicago and state politics and have relationships with groups on the ground, but not required
- Experience with labor unions and on corporate campaigns strongly preferred
- Demonstrated success working in community and labor coalitions
- Experience with operating successfully in a politically sensitive climate
- Ability to develop goal oriented, multi-year, strategic campaign plans that include research, policy advocacy, grass tops organizing and communications
- Ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities, collaborate as part of a team, and work in a deadline driven environment
- Ability to work in distributed teams, and to independently manage projects from conception to completion
- Willingness to travel occasionally, work long hours and weekends when necessary
- Excellent computer, interpersonal, organizational, and writing skills
Terms of employment
The salary range for the position is $70,000 to $75,000 and is dependent upon experience. JMA offers full family health and dental benefits, retirement, and generous time off.
Level of Language Proficiency
EXTRA CONSIDERATION will be given for candidates who:
- Identify as persons of color, women, veterans, or formerly incarcerated persons and/or have had experience working with more than one of those groups.
- Have experience working in the labor movement.
- Have experience working as a policy analyst.
- Are fluent speaking a language other than English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please e-mail your cover letter, resume, and a 2-3 page writing sample to email@example.com with “IL Campaign Director” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.
JMA is an affirmative action employer. People of color, LGBTQ individuals and women are strongly encouraged to apply.