Reports To: Information & Referral Coordinator
Classification: Part-time | Non-exempt
Schedule: Hours will include weekdays, evenings, weekend and holiday shifts. Schedule flexibility is a must.
Summary: The Information & Referral (I&R) staff facilitate the daily operation of The Center, ensuring a peaceful, safe and friendly environment at all times. I&R staff greet Center visitors, troubleshoot events, answer questions, provide referrals, investigate situations and resolve conflicts through de-escalation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greet and welcome all Center visitors and provide telephone reception.
- Post and be familiar with the daily calendar of events in order to direct people to the appropriate locations.
- Be familiar with all Center-produced activities, user groups and referral resources in order to answer questions and make referrals to visitors.
- Direct deliveries to the appropriate recipients in the building.
- Oversee the David Bohnett Cyber Center, processing payments and troubleshooting issues when appropriate.
- Receive and process in-person meeting and space rental payments.
- Maintain bulletin boards, literature racks, and Center publications at the front desk and throughout the building; be knowledgeable with their contents in order to answer questions from the public.
- Maintain lost-and-found.
- Respond to information requests via email, or forward to the appropriate staff person.
- Enforce Center Code of Conduct; engage visitors in violation to modify behavior and/or leave the building. Refuse admittance to any person who is known to be prohibited from entering the building.
- Respond to requests for assistance from Center staff and users.
- Perform regular building tours to assess activity, traffic and safety conditions.
- Perform building open and close/safety shutdown.
- Report and respond to any unsafe conditions observed or reported.
- Prepare internal incident reports about any unusual problems or occurrences.
- Call for assistance in the event of a difficult situation; engage support (i.e. NYPD) if necessary. I&R staff do not confront a difficult person or situation physically.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Two (2) to three (3) years of relevant experience in customer service and/or security/space management.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively with a wide range of people.
- Ability to adapt to circumstances in a sometimes high-pressure environment.
- Prior de-escalation and/or conflict resolution training and experience.
- Exhibit a friendly, helpful disposition and demeanor.
- Demonstrate sound judgment and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of, and sensitivity to, LGBT communities, issues and resources required.
- A strong commitment to the mission of The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community Center.
The Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.