Symphony Space is seeking a dynamic, organized, and systems-oriented person to join our team in the newly created position of Manager of Administration. The Manager of Administration will report jointly to the Executive Director and Managing Director and be responsible for three key areas: (1) human resources; (2) administration; and (3) office management.
The Manager of Administration plays a key role in the support of the executive team, partnering with the MD and ED in imparting Symphony Space’s ideals and goals to its staff of 42 full time employees and 60 seasonal or part time employees. The Manager will be the first point of contact for an array of people-related outreach, inquiries, and issues, and will be a vital resource for the organization. This role offers the ability to work autonomously and as an integral member of a team, contributing to and nurturing the organization’s culture.
Our ideal candidate is a proactive and forward-looking individual who has a love of the arts, exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, impeccable judgment and discretion, human resources expertise across all areas, and a demonstrated ability to excel in a fast-paced, vibrant environment.
Recruiting, Hiring, and Retention
- Own and manage all aspects of the HR function, including recruiting and retention, benefits & payroll, office environment, employee relations, people policies, performance reviews, training and development programs, staff engagement, and more
- Partner with leadership to ensure our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is represented in the recruitment process
- Participate in the onboarding/orientation process and employee offboarding/transition process
- Supervise Internship Coordinator in the administration of a robust internship program
- Maintain open, clear communication with all staff members
Payroll and Benefits
- Guide and administer the annual open enrollment process
- Oversee the administration of our 403(b), FSA, commuter, FMLA Leave, Paid Family Leave, disability, worker’s compensation, and unemployment benefits
- Monitor employee eligibility for employment benefits (medical, dental, vision, life, disability, and flex spending)
- Monitor payroll through ExponentHR
- Manage highly complex calendar and communications for all Board and staff meetings, ensuring meeting needs are addressed in a timely manner with all prep documents ready and reviewed in advance
- Provide support to ED and MD in areas such as scheduling and meeting coordination
- Ensure the smooth running of the office and help to improve company procedures and day-to-day operations.
- Assist in budget preparation, monitor expenses reports, reconcile receipts
- Act as internal and external liaison for the Executive and Managing Directors
- Handle day-to-day administrative tasks, i.e. analyzing credit card expenses, ordering office supplies, distributing AP, communicating with vendors, etc.
The ideal candidate will have:
· 3-5 years administration or HR experience in a non-profit organization
· Exceptional interpersonal and organizational skills
· Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
· High level of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information
· Ability to interface with staff and external stake holders with tact and diplomacy
· Facility with payroll/benefits software
· Superb follow-through
· Ability to prioritize and multitask at a high level
· Desire to support the staff in the growth and development of their careers
Symphony Space is a multi-disciplinary performing arts center where bold programming, presented in a uniquely warm and welcoming environment, forges indelible relationships between artists and audiences. Our fundamental mission is to connect art, ideas, and community through our programs and our commitment to literacy and education through the arts. On our New York City stages, through our national broadcasts, and in the classrooms and communities we serve throughout the country, we foster access to the arts through all the disciplines. Our embrace of the audience and the arts is wide, and the experience of our audience is deep and enriched.
We offer a competitive salary and a benefit package that includes health insurance; life and long term disability insurance, flexible spending plan; annuity plan; and generous vacation schedule. Website: symphonyspace.org
Minimum Education Required