Full Time Temporary
Job Title: Summer Camp Educator
Status: 32-40 hour flex/ Non-Exempt/ Temporary
Duration: June 1 – August 31, 2018
Reports to: Youth Education Program Manager
Location: Good Shepherd Center and Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands
Tilth Alliance believes everyone deserves to eat well, every day. For 40-years we’ve created a better food culture in Washington by teaching people to grow, prepare and eat food with a clear understanding of the interconnectedness of food, health, community and the earth’s sustainability. Using fields, farms and kitchens as classrooms to teach much more than agriculture, we transform lives and the communities we serve. Our youth education programs invite young people of diverse backgrounds to explore their local food system through hands-on and experiential learning activities in the garden, farm and wetlands.
The Summer Camp Educator is responsible for leading summer camp programs including classes for families with young children and weeklong camps for school age children. Camps are lead at the Children’s Garden at the Good Shepherd Center in Wallingford and the Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands in SE Seattle.
- Coordinate and lead Summer Camp programs for school age kids, parents and toddlers at the Good Shepherd Center and Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands
· Support Farm to Table Classes at the Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands as needed
· Educate and lead groups of children and youth through garden-based outdoor activities
· Train and support summer camp volunteers in educational programming and seasonal garden maintenance
· Support ongoing maintenance of the Children’s Garden at the Good Shepherd Center and Learning Farm at the Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands including shed and storage spaces
· Purchase and prepare needed teaching materials for Summer Camps
· Track program and garden maintenance activities and maintain updated supply inventory
- Experience leading outdoor education programming for kids aged Pre K-5th grades
- Some organic vegetable gardening and composting knowledge and hands-on experience
- Demonstrated ability and success working with people from a variety of racial, cultural, and economic backgrounds
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
- Ability to problem solve and work in dynamic settings
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Self-directed and able to work independently as well as with a team
- Able to work evenings and weekends on occasion, or as needed
· Ability and willingness to work part-time 3-5 days per week throughout the summer
· Able to transport self and materials to education and outreach locations
· Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Understanding of local food movement
- Demonstrated success working with non-English speaking communities
This is a 32-40 hour flex-time, non-exempt temporary position. It is not eligible for benefits. This position will be full time during weeklong camps with reduced hours during “off” weeks and peewee camps. This position will be based at the Good Shepherd Center and Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands. Compensation is $17 per hour.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a letter of interest and resume as one document in PDF or Word format outlining 1) your experience with the requirements listed above and 2) why you are interested in this position. Email all materials to email@example.com with the subject "Summer Camp Educator.” Applications will be reviewed as received and interviews will begin immediately. Position is open until filled.